I have the following problem with mailman. I'm administering a list of
about 450 subscribers. When there is a new mail to the list, mailman
invokes sendmail with very big recipient lists. I can check this by running

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bp

occasionally. My problem is, that some of these addresses are
problematic (the mail server is not reachable, it's slow, etc.) The
effect is, that people on the end of these lists get their mail with a
considerable delay, because they have to wait for all the others before
them.

I thought one solution might be to have mailman send out more jobs to
sendmail with a smaller recipient lists each. But I didn't find such
configuration options.

Is this possible? Or is there an other solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Akos

Search Discussions

  • Jon Carnes at Mar 14, 2003 at 3:40 pm
    This is the one big problem with running a non-optimized MTA and is the
    reason I (and so many others) moved over to Postfix.

    Try setting SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5 in the ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file

    == # Ceiling on the number of recipients that
    # can be specified in a single SMTP
    # transaction. Set to 0 to submit the
    # entire recipient list in one
    # transaction. Only used with the SMTPDirect
    # DELIVERY_MODULE.
    # SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 500
    SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5
    ==
    I have advocated this setting for Sendmail folks for a long time now.
    Let us know if it works for you!

    Jon Carnes

    BTW, there is a timing section in your Sendmail.cf file. You can adjust
    the various time-outs used by Sendmail in this section (be sure to
    backup your sendmail.cf file first!). Before I moved my systems over to
    Postfix, I used to tweak these settings to get the maximum performance
    out of Sendmail.

    Here are some settings that might be of interest to you:

    O Timeout.iconnect=5m
    # It waits 5 minutes for the initial connect!!!
    # Definitely change this. Try something like 5 seconds
    # If it fails the initial connect it moves the host to
    # the end of queue, then users the more generic
    # "Timeout.connect" value.
    O Timeout.iconnect=5s

    O Timeout.helo=5m
    # It waits 5 minutes before giving up on a "helo"!!!
    # Even if the host is doing a DNS/RBL look up on you,
    # it shouldn't take 5 minutes (though the RFC calls
    # for 5 minutes here)

    O Timeout.mailm
    # It waits 10 minutes before giving up on passing off a email!!!
    # The RFC minimum is 5 minutes for this. I think even that is
    # too long

    Remember to stop and restart Sendmail if you make a change to
    /etc/sendmail.cf (or /etc/mail/sendmail.cf).

    Here is a web-page with more info on the Sendmail.cf file:
    http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/mailserver/PartIII.html

    I wrote this for a class I teach on setting up Mail-services for
    corporate or personal use.

    This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jonc%40nc.rr.com