these now need to go into the Reply-To: field, and the
From: field needs to be something like mailman at domain.com,
so that I then can get mailman at domain.com registered on the
relay server as a trusted E-mail source...).

I am sure that this problem has not come up for the first
time, and that it is well documented somewhere, but after
searching all documentation, FAQs, etc. for the better part
of three days now, I really would appreciate if somebody
can point me into the right direction. Also my apologies if
this problem is absolutely trivial, just give me some
newbie credit!

I have tried things like "aliases" and "genericstable", but
the wrapper seems to be applied last, overwriting any
previous entry in the From: field.

Setup here is Linux 7.3 using sendmail and SMTP.

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes

Thorsten

Search Discussions

  • Jon Carnes at Feb 20, 2003 at 3:51 pm
    I don't think there is a push-button solution to this problem. I can
    only think of two ways to easily modify the From: field in the email

    - Run the mail destined for the list through a pre-processor like a
    procmail script which then replaces the From: header with something
    appropriate (something that will let your relay server pass it on)

    - Modify the source for Mailman so that it substitutes in a From:
    header that works for you

    Good Luck - Jon Carnes
    Sorry to repost this, but nobody took the bait the first
    time... I try it with a few more details, maybe the problem
    was not clear in my initial mail:

    I have the problem here that for security reasons, all
    E-mail here from all the different networks within
    university has to be relayed through one common E-mail
    relay server (which is and has to be different to the
    server that runs the lists). Authentication for the relay
    server is via the From: field, so I need to be able to tell
    mailman what to put in there (by default it is the list
    name, plus things like <list>-request, <list>-admin, etc.;
    these now need to go into the Reply-To: field, and the

    This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jonc%40nc.rr.com

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 20, '03 at 2:30p
activeFeb 20, '03 at 3:51p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Thorsten Brabetz: 1 post Jon Carnes: 1 post