My apologies if this has been brought up before, but I do not see any
answers in the recent archives.

The archive pages for my mailman lists do not automatically wrap the
text of each message. Since these pages use the <pre> tag to display the
message, each message consists of several very long lines that extend to
the right, forcing readers to scroll to the right in order to read the
message. This is a very big problem since many of my users cannot be
trusted to use a mail client that wraps the message for them. Can
mailman not be configured to automatically wrap all incoming messages at
around 75 characters by itself?

Does anyone have a possible solution to this?

Search Discussions

  • Alex wetmore at Feb 19, 2003 at 8:35 pm
    My apologies if this has been brought up before, but I do not see any
    answers in the recent archives.

    The archive pages for my mailman lists do not automatically wrap the
    text of each message. Since these pages use the <pre> tag to display the
    message, each message consists of several very long lines that extend to
    the right, forcing readers to scroll to the right in order to read the
    message. This is a very big problem since many of my users cannot be
    trusted to use a mail client that wraps the message for them. Can
    mailman not be configured to automatically wrap all incoming messages at
    around 75 characters by itself?

    Does anyone have a possible solution to this?
    You can use an external archiver that wraps. I'm not sure if
    MHonArc (the most popular external archiver) will wrap or not.
    I'm using a homebrewed solution (http://search.bikelist.org) that
    does.

    There is also some commented out code in stripmime
    (http://www.phred.org/~alex/stripmime.html) that wraps lines down
    to 75 columns. I don't remember what problems there might be
    in there though, so if you want to use it make sure you test it
    yourself. The code is at lines 322 to 339.

    alex
  • Tokio Kikuchi at Feb 20, 2003 at 12:23 pm
    Hi,

    There are constants in Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py
    class HyperArchive(pipermail.T):

    SHOWHTML = 0 # Eg, nuke leading whitespace in html manner.
    SHOWBR = 0 # Add <br> onto every line

    If you chenge both to 1, then you will get long lines wrapped at
    the end of the browser width.

    Tokio

    Sage wrote:
    My apologies if this has been brought up before, but I do not see any
    answers in the recent archives.

    The archive pages for my mailman lists do not automatically wrap the
    text of each message. Since these pages use the <pre> tag to display the
    message, each message consists of several very long lines that extend to
    the right, forcing readers to scroll to the right in order to read the
    message. This is a very big problem since many of my users cannot be
    trusted to use a mail client that wraps the message for them. Can
    mailman not be configured to automatically wrap all incoming messages at
    around 75 characters by itself?

    Does anyone have a possible solution to this?

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 19, '03 at 8:29p
activeFeb 20, '03 at 12:23p