**************************************

Paul Mozell
Webmaster: AMC Boston Chapter
webmaster at amcboston.org
http://www.amcboston.org

Search Discussions

  • Matthew Davis at Feb 11, 2003 at 4:00 am

    * Paul Mozell (paul at mozellstudios.com) wrote:
    Can mailman be installed on a virtual host without root access? I
    don't run my own server, just using a web hosting service. Can't I
    just put it in my cgi-bin?
    There are certain commands that root needs to execute. For example on
    when you create the mailing list aliases, root needs to rebuild the aliases
    (at least on sendmail you do, no experience with exim and i just installed
    postfix so i'm learning it now).

    Apache conf files need to be modified as well. So its not very possiable to
    install it without root, but once installed, root isn't needed much.

    You can always setup a mailman alias file which sendmail reads from
    ~mailman which would cut down the root intervention.

    But if someone else out there has successfully installed a non-root mailman
    installation do let the world know.
    And, how large is the untarred directory?
    Stock untarred dirs with no patches/configuration.

    mailman 2.0.13
    [Mon Feb 10 - 22:57:08] (mailman at dogpound ~/mailman-2.0.13)
    $ du -s -c
    2200 .
    2200 total

    mailman 2.1.1
    [Mon Feb 10 - 22:56:30] (mailman2 at dogpound ~/mailman-2.1.1)
    $ du -s -c
    18412 .
    18412 total

    --
    Matthew Davis
    http://dogpound.vnet.net/

    This is your brain. Postscript on brain your is This.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 10, '03 at 2:56p
activeFeb 11, '03 at 4:00a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Paul Mozell: 1 post Matthew Davis: 1 post