/home/mailman/lists that is empty. Does 2.0.13 use /var/mailman at all?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jason Bradley Nance
aitrus at tresgeek.net
Tres Geek
http://www.tresgeek.net/

-
What would you cry for?
Swallow your pride for?
What would you go wild for?

-Poe, "Wild"

  • Jeremy Portzer at Dec 16, 2002 at 5:45 pm

    On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 11:45, Jason Bradley Nance wrote:
    Hello everyone.
    I'm attempting to upgrade from 2.0.8 to 2.0.13. I run the configure
    script with the same values as I did in 2.0.8 (all default and
    specifying mail and cgi gids), run make, make update, make install, but
    my lists are not found.

    At the end of the make install, I see this:

    Upgrading from version 0x0 to 0x2000df0
    no lists == nothing to do, exiting

    I tried running the update script in /home/mailman/bin, but it just
    exits with no output. list_lists doesn't show any lists, and check_db
    says that /home/mailman/lists/<listname>/config.db[.list] are missing.

    Has there been a structural change that wasn't documented?
    /var/mailman/lists seems to be where the lists live, yet there is a
    /home/mailman/lists that is empty. Does 2.0.13 use /var/mailman at all?

    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Sounds like you didn't use the same --prefix argument to ./configure .
    The install location is completely customizable as with most GNU
    programs. With mailman 2.0.8, were you using a distribution-supplied
    version (ie Red Hat)? If so, you should probably do one of two things:
    1) Upgrade to the distribution-supplied package of mailman 2.0.13
    -or-
    2) Set the --prefix=/var/mailman when you ./configure the .tar.gz
    version of mailman that you're running

    I can't vouch that 2) will work without knowing for sure how your
    mailman 2.0.8 was set up, however. The Linux distributor may have made
    other file location changes that won't take well to being overwritten.

    --Jeremy
  • Jeremy Portzer at Dec 16, 2002 at 6:10 pm