I have looked at the archive and FAQ but did not find an answer.
Is it possible to have mailman put a sequence number on messages?
What I would like is to have a character in the converted subject
that would translate into an incrementing sequence number to track
individual threads or messages.

Jim Millard
Sr. Software Engineer
Pioneer Digital Technologies, Inc.
I think they used to call them transistor units.
Montgomery - Scott Stardate 3131.9

Search Discussions

  • Matthew Davis at Dec 10, 2002 at 9:02 pm
    Mailman doesn't do that right now, but there was discussion on the mailman-developers list about putting this in but won't happen probably until after 2.1 is released.

    * Jim Millard (jim.millard at pioneer-pdt.com) wrote:
    I have looked at the archive and FAQ but did not find an answer.
    Is it possible to have mailman put a sequence number on messages?
    What I would like is to have a character in the converted subject
    that would translate into an incrementing sequence number to track
    individual threads or messages.

    Matthew Davis /\ http://dogpound.vnet.net/ |
    Tuesday, December 10, 2002 / 04:00PM |
    Programming is an unnatural act.
  • Jon Carnes at Dec 10, 2002 at 9:43 pm
    There was a hack (or patch - if you are so inclined) that did this for
    an earlier version of Mailman. As I recall the hack was fairly simple
    and involved the creation of a new file in the config directory for the
    list. The incrementing number was stored in that file.

    I don't think this feature has been added to the new beta.

    Good Luck - Jon Carnes