Hello

I'm installing Mailman 2.0.13 on a "Virtual Server". I have no real
experience of the command line or Unix so getting this far is pretty good
going!

I have got as far as creating the list "test" and received a mail from
Mailman saying my new list is set up. I cannot however access the admin
pages in that mail.
You can configure your mailing list at the following web page:

http://mydomain1.tld/mailman/admin/test
The FAQs suggest that 404 not found errors are down to not configuring
the Apache httpd.conf file, but I do have the following lines
<VirtualHost mailman.mydomain1.tld>
ServerName mailman.mydomain1.tld
ServerAdmin mailman.mydomain1.tld
DocumentRoot /home/mailman
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/
</VirtualHost>
My first query is whether I need the DNS updated to point
mailman.mydomain1.tld to mydomain1.tld. (For example http://
www.mydomain1.tld reaches my web pages but http://mydomain1.tld takes you
to my servers default domain (myserver.myhost.tld). I need a CNAME entry
for mailman.mydomain1.tld perhaps?

Next sending a message to test-request at mydomain.tld doesn't work. The
message is cought by my 'catch-all' mailbox although I have set "test-
request at mydomain.tld mailman" in the virtusertable. (And done gen-
virtusertable)

I don't really understand the URLs Mailman gives in the "Your new mailing
list" message. I can see why it's <http://mydomain1.tld/mailman/listinfo/
test>. But thase pages don't exist on my server. Attempting to reach them
via http://myserver.myhost.tld/mailman etc doen't work either.

So as far as I can see this is either a DNS problem on my setup or I've
missed something somewhere...

Any clues or ideas welcome!

Thanks

DG

Search Discussions

  • Obantec Support at Nov 10, 2002 at 11:24 am
    See comment in your body.

    I'm installing Mailman 2.0.13 on a "Virtual Server". I have no real
    experience of the command line or Unix so getting this far is pretty good
    going!

    I have got as far as creating the list "test" and received a mail from
    Mailman saying my new list is set up. I cannot however access the admin
    pages in that mail.
    You can configure your mailing list at the following web page:

    http://mydomain1.tld/mailman/admin/test
    The FAQs suggest that 404 not found errors are down to not configuring
    the Apache httpd.conf file, but I do have the following lines
    <VirtualHost mailman.mydomain1.tld>
    ServerName mailman.mydomain1.tld
    ServerAdmin mailman.mydomain1.tld
    DocumentRoot /home/mailman
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/
    Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/
    </VirtualHost>
    I would not have made a virtualhost for mailman.

    Lets assume you have want mailman for all hosts then keep virtualhosts as
    before and simple add required additions

    so in your case (assuming www convention)

    VirtualHost www.mydomain1.tld>
    ServerName www.mydomain1.tld
    ServerAlias mydomain1.tld
    ^^^^
    just for completeness but not necessary howerver i prefer to add it. (you
    could include mailman.mydomain1.tld as well)

    ServerAdmin webmaster at mydomain1.tld
    DocumentRoot /home/www.mydomain1.tld
    ^^^^^^^
    Note you will have to adjust this to suit your virtual host paths not the
    mailman paths as they have nothing to do with your hosts.

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/
    Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/

    </VirtualHost>

    My first query is whether I need the DNS updated to point
    mailman.mydomain1.tld to mydomain1.tld. (For example http://
    www.mydomain1.tld reaches my web pages but http://mydomain1.tld takes you
    to my servers default domain (myserver.myhost.tld). I need a CNAME entry
    for mailman.mydomain1.tld perhaps?
    missing ServerAlias but DNS ok as it finds your server. (you can add an A or
    CNAME for mailman subdomain if you are still going to use it.
    Next sending a message to test-request at mydomain.tld doesn't work. The
    message is cought by my 'catch-all' mailbox although I have set "test-
    request at mydomain.tld mailman" in the virtusertable. (And done gen-
    virtusertable)
    Work on that later get interface up first (IMHO) post a new question once
    web up.
    I don't really understand the URLs Mailman gives in the "Your new mailing
    list" message. I can see why it's <http://mydomain1.tld/mailman/listinfo/
    test>. But thase pages don't exist on my server. Attempting to reach them
    via http://myserver.myhost.tld/mailman etc doen't work either.
    should work since mailman is script alias for the cgi-bin under mailman dir
    and listinfo is the script it runs.

    be over long and ugly.
    but would work with mods i suggested.

    So as far as I can see this is either a DNS problem on my setup or I've
    missed something somewhere... Mixed!
    Any clues or ideas welcome!

    Thanks

    DG