Thanks
Paul

Search Discussions

  • Jim Popovitch at Nov 2, 2002 at 4:47 am
    Yes and Yes... but it's not really a MM issue, it's a MTA issue.

    -Jim P.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Paul Reilly
    Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 4:55 PM

    Hi,

    I'm using Mailman 2.0.13 in a virtual domain environment.
    I want to have lists with the same name but on different virtual domains.
    ie: news at mydomain and news at yourdomain

    Is this possible in 2.0.x ?

    Is this possible in 2.1?

    Thanks
    Paul
  • Ralph Mengen at Nov 2, 2002 at 2:34 pm

    Jim Popovitch wrote:
    Yes and Yes... but it's not really a MM issue, it's a MTA issue.
    [...]
    I'm using Mailman 2.0.13 in a virtual domain environment.
    I want to have lists with the same name but on different virtual domains.
    ie: news at mydomain and news at yourdomain

    Is this possible in 2.0.x ?

    Is this possible in 2.1?
    It is possible with multiple installations of MM, but I think the
    original sender (and me) wants to know how this could be done
    with one installation. Is there a cook book for this problem?

    MANY thanx for any hints,
    ++ralph

  • Paul Reilly at Nov 2, 2002 at 3:45 pm

    It is possible with multiple installations of MM, but I think the
    original sender (and me) wants to know how this could be done
    with one installation. Is there a cook book for this problem?
    Exactly. For people like me running multiple virtual domains, this
    means a seperate installation of mailman for each virtaul domain
    acount!! That's crazy.

    I did come across some workarounds mentioned here:

    http://www.zope.org/Members/bwarsaw/MailmanDesignNotes/VirtualHosting

    But I have yet to try them, and don't really want to mess around with my
    active mailman installation.

    What I would like is a proper way to handle virtual domains in the next
    release of Mailman!

    Paul
  • Tom Whiting at Nov 2, 2002 at 3:58 pm

    What I would like is a proper way to handle virtual domains in the next
    release of Mailman!

    Paul
    So, get to work and start coding. I find it amusing the amount of people that
    want this and want that and would like this and would like that, but really,
    know nothing about how to do it. But ooooh, if their features aren't
    instituted right away (and the way they want them to be), they throw a big ol
    cow.

    I'm not saying that this is the case here, but if you want to see something
    done, then write up a patch, a snippet and have at it. Mailman should be a
    decent base to work from, but you have to configure some stuff yourself
    (welcome to the world of open source).

    I'm not sure what you mean by "proper" virtual domain handling here. In the
    latest betas however, it IS possible to create multiple domain'ed lists off
    of one simple server without having multiple installs of mailman.

    Remember, as well, that YOUR version of proper may not = MY version of proper,
    or the next linux tech's version of proper, so the ONLY way to get things
    100% the way YOU want them to be is to create it yourself, or modify the
    existing base (which is absolutely great mind you).
  • Stonewall Ballard at Nov 2, 2002 at 5:12 pm

    I'm not sure what you mean by "proper" virtual domain handling here. In the
    latest betas however, it IS possible to create multiple domain'ed lists off
    of one simple server without having multiple installs of mailman.
    The list names still all have to be unique, though, don't they?

    - Stoney
  • Paul Reilly at Nov 2, 2002 at 6:56 pm

    latest betas however, it IS possible to create multiple domain'ed lists off
    of one simple server without having multiple installs of mailman.
    The list names still all have to be unique, though, don't they?
    - Stoney
    I presume not. I'll check it out and see.
    Paul
  • Barry A. Warsaw at Nov 4, 2002 at 11:08 pm

    "SB" == Stonewall Ballard <sb.list at sb.org> writes:
    I'm not sure what you mean by "proper" virtual domain handling
    here. In the latest betas however, it IS possible to create
    multiple domain'ed lists off of one simple server without
    having multiple installs of mailman.
    SB> The list names still all have to be unique, though, don't
    SB> they?

    Yes, and this will be fixed after MM2.1.

    For people who want to look at this in more details, take a look at
    the Site.py module. It's not perfect and may not be complete, but
    it's the best that's currently available for MM2.1.

    -Barry
  • Paul Reilly at Nov 2, 2002 at 6:54 pm

    So, get to work and start coding. I find it amusing the amount of people that
    want this and want that and would like this and would like that, but really,
    All I am saying is that big hosting companies need this feature in order
    to do wide scale deployements of mailman. It's in the interests of the
    project that this feature is worked on.

    I have no problem editing the source to get it to do what I want. I have done
    this numerous times with other packages. However python is not a language I
    know well, and so any mailman patch from me is likely to be ugly.
    latest betas however, it IS possible to create multiple domain'ed lists off
    of one simple server without having multiple installs of mailman.
    Great. I'll install that and have a play around with it.

    Thanks

    Paul
  • Barry A. Warsaw at Nov 4, 2002 at 11:12 pm

    "PR" == Paul Reilly <pareilly at tcd.ie> writes:
    So, get to work and start coding. I find it amusing the amount
    of people that want this and want that and would like this and
    would like that, but really,
    PR> All I am saying is that big hosting companies need this
    PR> feature in order to do wide scale deployements of
    PR> mailman. It's in the interests of the project that this
    PR> feature is worked on.

    If it's really that important, then the big hosting companies should
    be happy to hear that Zope Corporation has a successful history of
    entering into targeted development contracts for Mailman features.

    IOW, if someone were to /fund/ me to do the work, and is willing to
    open source the results, it would get a much higher priority.

    Hacking code isn't the only way to contribute to the project <wink>.

    -Barry
  • Christopher Allen [BigFatPipe.Net] at Nov 3, 2002 at 4:30 pm

    Exactly. For people like me running multiple virtual domains, this
    means a seperate installation of mailman for each virtaul domain
    acount!! That's crazy.

    I did come across some workarounds mentioned here:

    http://www.zope.org/Members/bwarsaw/MailmanDesignNotes/VirtualHosting

    But I have yet to try them, and don't really want to mess around with my
    active mailman installation.

    What I would like is a proper way to handle virtual domains in the next
    release of Mailman!
    How about handling your virtual domains at the MTA level via aliasing, and
    not at your listmanager level? While this would mean that you couldn't
    have two lists with exactly the same name, you can achieve nearly the same
    level of performance with things like explicit reply-to settings/etc.

    -CA
  • Jim Popovitch at Nov 2, 2002 at 4:39 pm