I set up several virtual domains last year using virtuald, which worked very
well, and separate directories for the mail and cgi portions of mailman. The
cgi side consisted mostly of symbolic links to various directories on the mail
side. I've forgotten now why I had to do it that way, but I seem to remember
it was because apache sometimes arbitrarily ignored my symbolic links, creating
a possible security problem. Once I'd figured out what had to go where, it
was pretty easy to set things up.

Virtuald uses chroot to make the root directory somewhere further down the
directory tree. The idea is to have a separate copy of each set of essential
directories for each host. It sounds unwieldy, but in practice it amounts to
a few hundred K per virtual host, which is a small price to pay. The tools
are fairly well-written and work well. You then have virtuald monitor each
desired port and chroot to the virtual machine before executing the
appropriate service. For me this was a way to have multiple lists with the
same names at different domains.

I've since switched to different projects and those domains are currently
somewhat disabled or have been moved to their own machines, but some time
fairly soon I'll be turning some of them back on.

Hope that helps.

Dave Klingler