A while ago I upgraded from Mailman 2.0.9 to 2.1b1. No problems
encountered. However, I created a new list today using the web
interface. All our other lists use private archives, but this one's
archives should be public. Under 2.1b1, it doesn't work - accesses
result in a "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /pipermail/
on this server", which is strange since private archives work perfectly,
and they use pipermail as well.

Switching the new list to private archives works fine - all messages
show up. But switching back to public archives give the "Forbidden"
message above.

Running bin/check_perms reveals several errors (2.1b1 definitely does
_not_ set up privileges correctly in all cases, particularly on
extracted attachments, so it is a good idea to run bin/check_perms -f
now and then). Correcting these errors using -f does not get rid of the
pipermail permission problem.

Checking the actual permissions, there is an 's' flag in there. Also,
the public archives are merely symbolic links into the private hierarchy.

The machine is an Mac OS X 10.2 one.

/ Peter Bengtson

Search Discussions

  • Richard Barrett at May 7, 2002 at 1:36 pm

[...]

    I'd hazard a guess that your problem is in your web server, presumably
    Apache, setup rather than the file permissions per se.

    With MM normally installed in conjunction with Apache, public archives are
    reached through an Alias while private archives are through a ScriptAlias.

    If you cannot access the /pipermail/ path element then you need to look to
    the changes you made to Apache's httpd.conf when you installed mailman and
    make sure they are correct.

    A common problem can occur if your Apache httpd.conf does not allow
    FollowSymLinks on the pipermail location; as you noted the contents of the
    $prefix/archives/public directory that pipermail usually resolves to is all
    symlinks.

    Normally, the reason why private archives can be reached OK when the
    pipermail Alias is screwed is that the $prefix/Mailman/Cgi/private.py is
    being called (because of the Apache Scriptalias) and is returning the
    archive mail file's contents.
  • Marc MERLIN at May 7, 2002 at 6:52 pm

    A while ago I upgraded from Mailman 2.0.9 to 2.1b1. No problems
    encountered. However, I created a new list today using the web
    interface. All our other lists use private archives, but this one's
    archives should be public. Under 2.1b1, it doesn't work - accesses
    result in a "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /pipermail/
    on this server", which is strange since private archives work perfectly,
    and they use pipermail as well.
    That's an apache configuration problem. Make sure you re-read the install
    document and the section about configuring apache.
    /pipermail should be a map to ~mailman/archives/public/, and doesn't use the
    the private CGI.

    Marc

    Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key

groupmailman-users @