First, I have to say that 2.1b1 is a beautiful thing! It does all things
I've always thought Mailman should. :)

I need help though. When subscribing new members to a list that uses topic
filters, I want the default to be that people receive only those messages
that have a topic and that they not receive the rest. Right now, the default
is that they not receive any of the topics and not receive any of the
non-topics, meaning they get nothing at all!

How do I do this??

-- Sarah
Plus ?a change, plus c'est la m?me chose

Search Discussions

  • Barry A. Warsaw at Apr 19, 2002 at 3:19 pm
    "S" == Spam <techgrrl at beeze.com> writes:
    S> First, I have to say that 2.1b1 is a beautiful thing! It does
    S> all things I've always thought Mailman should. :)

    Great!

    S> I need help though. When subscribing new members to a list that
    S> uses topic filters, I want the default to be that people
    S> receive only those messages that have a topic and that they not
    S> receive the rest. Right now, the default is that they not
    S> receive any of the topics and not receive any of the
    S> non-topics, meaning they get nothing at all!

    Ah, this is because by default, no user is subscribed to a topic, and
    there's no way for the admin to auto-subscribe users to a topic. To
    further complicate things, the default is for users to not receive
    messages that match no topics.

    I've re-examined the topic stuff and I'm not entirely sure that we've
    got the semantics right for the defaults. Would it help if, by
    default, a user were to receive all messages that don't match a topic?

    -Barry
  • Sarah K. Miller at Apr 19, 2002 at 8:05 pm
    S> I need help though. When subscribing new members to a list that
    S> uses topic filters, I want the default to be that people
    S> receive only those messages that have a topic and that they not
    S> receive the rest. Right now, the default is that they not
    S> receive any of the topics and not receive any of the
    S> non-topics, meaning they get nothing at all!

    Ah, this is because by default, no user is subscribed to a topic, and
    there's no way for the admin to auto-subscribe users to a topic. To
    further complicate things, the default is for users to not receive
    messages that match no topics.

    I've re-examined the topic stuff and I'm not entirely sure that we've
    got the semantics right for the defaults. Would it help if, by
    default, a user were to receive all messages that don't match a topic?
    I poked around a bit too. I think that in truth, by default everybody gets every message, unless they choose some topics, in which case they get only the topics. That works ok in theory.

    However, right now, I can't get topics to work. I had 'em working, but now they're not. No matter what I do, I seem to get every post from a list that has topics, whether I've selected them or not. One of my many projects for the weekend is to try to at least isolate when/why it happens and go from there.

    -- Sarah
  • Barry A. Warsaw at Apr 19, 2002 at 9:56 pm
    "SKM" == Sarah K Miller <techgrrl at beeze.com> writes:
    SKM> However, right now, I can't get topics to work. I had 'em
    SKM> working, but now they're not. No matter what I do, I seem to
    SKM> get every post from a list that has topics, whether I've
    SKM> selected them or not. One of my many projects for the weekend
    SKM> is to try to at least isolate when/why it happens and go from
    SKM> there.

    Hmm, please try cvs or (if I get it out) beta2. I just tried some
    simple experiments and it seems to be working as documented.

    -Barry

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 9, '02 at 2:40a