here's an example:
i have a domain will.invalid and a mailing list named list.

we use a virtual hosting setup, so we actually make the "list-name":
list-will.invalid at lists.will.invalid

even though aliases point:
list at lists.will.invalid to the actual list post.

is there any way to make mailman report the shorter name (without
breaking the list)?

--
Will Yardley
input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >

Search Discussions

  • Ashley M. Kirchner at Mar 28, 2002 at 10:43 pm

    list-will.invalid at lists.will.invalid

    even though aliases point:
    list at lists.will.invalid to the actual list post.
    I take a different approach:

    - I create <list> just the way I want it named (for example: test)

    - Sendmail's virtusertable does the following translation:
    test at lists.domain.net test-lists.domain.net
    test-admin at lists.domain.net test-admin-lists.domain.net
    test-request at lists.domain.net test-request-lists.domain.net
    test-owner at lists.domain.net test-admin-lists.domain.net

    - The Alias file takes care of the rest (lines wrapped):
    ## created: 13-Dec-2000 root
    test-lists.domain.net: \
    "|/home/mailman/lists.domain.net/mail/wrapper post test"
    test-admin-lists.domain.net: \
    "|/home/mailman/lists.domain.net/mail/wrapper mailowner test"
    test-request-lists.domain.net: \
    "|/home/mailman/lists.domain.net/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"

    This allows me to have multiple 'test' lists across multiple domains, on the
    same machine, all behaving as separate lists. (This also means I have multiple
    MM installations.)

    --
    W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
    Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley at pcraft.com> . 303.442.6410 x130

    list-will.invalid at lists.will.invalid

    even though aliases point:
    list at lists.will.invalid to the actual list post.
    I take a different approach:

    - I create <list> just the way I want it named (for example: test)

    - Sendmail's virtusertable does the following translation:
    test at lists.domain.net test-lists.domain.net [...]
    - The Alias file takes care of the rest (lines wrapped):
    ## created: 13-Dec-2000 root
    test-lists.domain.net: \
    "|/home/mailman/lists.domain.net/mail/wrapper post test"
    This allows me to have multiple 'test' lists across multiple domains,
    on the same machine, all behaving as separate lists. (This also means
    I have multiple MM installations.)
    hrmm that seems like an interesting way to do things. do you use an
    automated system to create each one? i think a variation on this might
    fit our needs pretty well (although a way to simply change the email
    address sent by mailman would, of course, be nicer :>)

    do you use symbolic links for commands and just create a new directory
    structure for the data directories and stuff? seems like having lots of
    full mailman installations might be a major headache when it comes time
    to upgrade (keep in mind that we have about 10-12k customers and are now
    starting to allow unlimited discussion lists on all plans)...

    --
    Will Yardley
    input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >
  • Ashley M. Kirchner at Mar 28, 2002 at 11:47 pm

    Will Yardley wrote:

    hrmm that seems like an interesting way to do things. do you use an
    automated system to create each one?
    Yeah, it's called 'My Ten Fingers'... :)

    do you use symbolic links for commands and just create a new directory
    structure for the data directories and stuff?
    No, although I have thought about that. Not sure if it will work or not -
    never tried it.

    --
    W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
    Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley at pcraft.com> . 303.442.6410 x130
    IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith . 800.441.3873 x130
    Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc. . 3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
    http://www.pcraft.com ..... . . . Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 28, '02 at 8:24p