Hi there

I'm wondering if it's possible to import or export subscribers of a
particular list (without using the web interface). I've got three specific
questions:

1. How would I go about importing a comma separated list of 12,000 email
addresses into an existing mailman list?

2. How could I export email addresses of users from an existing mailman list
into some standard format (e.g. CSV, XML)?

3. How does mailman store this stuff anyway?

Thanks very much!

Tom

-----------------+
tom dyson
t: +44 (0)1608 811870
m: +44 (0)7958 752657
http://torchbox.com

Search Discussions

  • David Melton at Dec 10, 2001 at 12:37 pm
    I'm wondering if it's possible to import or export subscribers of a
    particular list (without using the web interface). I've got three specific
    questions:

    1. How would I go about importing a comma separated list of 12,000 email
    addresses into an existing mailman list?
    bin/add_members can be used to add a list of email addresses to a list.
    This
    utility wants to see one exactly one email address per line, so you'll
    probably
    need to use some simple scripting or shell commands to extract the
    appropriate
    data from your CSV file.
    2. How could I export email addresses of users from an existing mailman list
    into some standard format (e.g. CSV, XML)?
    bin/list_members will output a list all of the subscribers to a list, one
    address per
    line. You can run this output through a script to add commas, XML tags,
    etc.
    as needed.
    3. How does mailman store this stuff anyway?
    In lists/<listname>/config.db, which is not directly readable. I'm not
    involved
    with Mailman's development effort, but I would recommend using the utilities
    mentioned above, to maintain compatibility with future releases. If you
    wrote
    code to use the database file, it might not work right with the next
    release, or
    your code could accidentally kill your list by damaging the database.

    Hope this helps,
    Dave Melton
  • J C Lawrence at Dec 10, 2001 at 5:44 pm

    1. How would I go about importing a comma separated list of 12,000
    email addresses into an existing mailman list?
    Replace the commands with LFs and then use ~/bin/add_members.
    2. How could I export email addresses of users from an existing
    mailman list into some standard format (e.g. CSV, XML)?
    ~/bin/list_members.
    3. How does mailman store this stuff anyway?
    Python marshal.

    --
    J C Lawrence
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?