From: "Richard Idalski" <ridalski at nandomedia.com>
To: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 1:16 PM
Subject: [Mailman-Users] certain queues hanging in qfiles dir...

I'm running mailman 2.0.6, with sendmail, on a freebsd 4.3 box. And
everything seems to be working almost perfectly, however every so often a
random queue file will just sit in /home/mailman/qfiles. The other queues
will be processed around it, but that one will just stay. It's happening for
a few of my lists, but the majority send with no problems. I saw no
discernable errors about it in /home/mailman/logs/error, or anywhere else.
COuld there be something wrong with the .msg, or .db files for that lists.
Errors in the headers or something?Where would I begin to look for such
things?

-Thanks,

Richard Idalski
Sys Admin
Nando Media
ridalski at nandomedia.com

Mailman-Users maillist - Mailman-Users at python.org

  • Richard Idalski at Dec 5, 2001 at 7:50 pm
    I may have jumped the gun on this. The files in question are staying in
    queue, but I'm getting reports from some of the subscribers that they are
    being recieved multiple times, even though the file stil resides in the
    qfiles dir, as if it hasn't been processed. This may be a seperate issue
    that I'm still investigating. But as far as the first Issue goes, aside from
    upgrading to v2.07 or .08 is there anything I can do immediatly to see about
    resolving this? Any scripts or files, I can edit, or headers I can change?
    Upgrading is an option, but I also need a way to get these lists out today.

    Thanks Again,

    Richard Idalski
    Sys Admin
    Nando Media
    ridalski at nandomedia.com

    There is a problem with certain headers that is corrected in v2.07 of
    Mailman (which is now at v2.08).

    For now, try to delete (or move to a temp directory) the next message in
    that queue waiting to be processed (take a good guess). Later, when you
    have time, upgrade to version 2.08

    Jon Carnes

    ridalski at nandomedia.com

    Mailman-Users maillist - Mailman-Users at python.org

    Mailman-Users maillist - Mailman-Users at python.org
  • Richard Idalski at Dec 5, 2001 at 11:16 pm
    Should returned and undeliverable mail that gets sent back to my list server
    show back up in /home/mailman/qfiles? I'm getting the occasional burstof
    returned mail, and it's filling up my queue. Is this what's supposed to be
    happening, after migrating over to a new lists server I know I'm getting
    more returned mails than normal, but is this the proprer place for them to
    be comeing back to, to get re-processed by mailman, and sent to the
    respective list owners? I'm trying to narrow down just how many problems I'm
    dealing with here.

    Thanks,

    Richard Idalski
  • Richard Idalski at Dec 6, 2001 at 12:16 am
    Q. I'm getting really terrible performance for outgoing messages. It seems
    that if the MTA has trouble resolving DNS for any recipients, qrunner just
    gets really slow clearing the queue. Any ideas?
    A. What's likely happening is that your MTA is doing DNS resolution on
    recipients for messages delivered locally (i.e. from Mailman to your MTA via
    SMTPDirect.py). This is a Bad Thing. You need to turn off synchronous DNS
    resolution for messages originating from the local host.

    In Exim, the value to edit is receiver_verify_hosts. See README.EXIM for
    details. Other MTAs have (of course) different parameters and defaults that
    control this. First check the README file for your MTA and then consult your
    MTA's own documentation.

    I'm thinking this may be the case on my server, But looking through the
    .cf file, and the docs that I can find I don't see a reference to this for
    sendmail. Anyone else running sendmail know where I'd find this and disable
    it if it is the case?

    Richard
  • J C Lawrence at Dec 6, 2001 at 1:21 am