I've seen comments on this list that Postfix mail server is preferable to
Sendmail due to its improved speed and security. So, I'm thinking of
changing my Red Hat server over to Postfix.

Question: If I remove Sendmail and install Postfix, is the only thing
necessary for Mailman to re-run configure & install to make sure it has the
right gid's?

Thanks!

Larry

Search Discussions

  • Jon Carnes at Oct 2, 2001 at 7:21 pm
    Larry, you should be able to drop and insert Postfix right into your server,
    then stop sendmail and startup Postfix.
    You'll have to do bit of tweaking, but if you read the Postfix notes you
    should be alright.

    BTW: I'm a sendmail user, but I've been on the fence for about 3 years
    following Postfix. Sendmail gets a bad rap because it came to the
    optimization plate late, but you'll find that its catching up. If you run
    IDE drives on your mailservers then don't bother with the change, you won't
    see any real improvement. If you're scsi, then you'll gain some significant
    speed on mass mailings.

    Just my opinion. Take care - Jon Carnes

    Mailman-Users maillist - Mailman-Users at python.org
  • Larry Hansford at Oct 3, 2001 at 12:59 am

    Larry, you should be able to drop and insert Postfix right into your server,
    then stop sendmail and startup Postfix.
    You'll have to do bit of tweaking, but if you read the Postfix notes you
    should be alright.
    Thanks! I thought that since the GID would change from the one used for
    Sendmail with the ./configure was run, to the new one assigned to Postfix
    when it is installed, that I would have to rerun the ./configure and then
    rerun the install program. But, I guess I could just change the GID of
    Postfix to that of the old Sendmail one if need be.

    What tweaking, other than the GID's, should I have to do?

    BTW: I'm a sendmail user, but I've been on the fence for about 3 years
    following Postfix. Sendmail gets a bad rap because it came to the
    optimization plate late, but you'll find that its catching up. If you run
    IDE drives on your mailservers then don't bother with the change, you won't
    see any real improvement. If you're scsi, then you'll gain some significant
    speed on mass mailings.
    I run nothing but SCSI drives on servers -- they last longer, run cooler,
    and are faster than most IDE drives.

    Larry

    Just my opinion. Take care - Jon Carnes
    I've seen comments on this list that Postfix mail server is preferable to
    Sendmail due to its improved speed and security. So, I'm thinking of
    changing my Red Hat server over to Postfix.

    Question: If I remove Sendmail and install Postfix, is the only thing
    necessary for Mailman to re-run configure & install to make sure it has the
    right gid's?

    Thanks!

    Larry
  • J C Lawrence at Oct 2, 2001 at 8:19 pm

    Question: If I remove Sendmail and install Postfix, is the only
    thing necessary for Mailman to re-run configure & install to make
    sure it has the right gid's?
    If you configure Postfix fully they'll be no need to touch anything
    in Mailman's world. Additionally, depending on how clever you want
    to get with your Postfix configuration you may remove the need to
    have any Mailman aliases at all (Postfix will auto-generate them
    internally from the filesystem).

    --
    J C Lawrence
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?

    Question: If I remove Sendmail and install Postfix, is the only
    thing necessary for Mailman to re-run configure & install to make
    sure it has the right gid's?
    If you configure Postfix fully they'll be no need to touch anything
    in Mailman's world. Additionally, depending on how clever you want
    to get with your Postfix configuration you may remove the need to
    have any Mailman aliases at all (Postfix will auto-generate them
    internally from the filesystem).
    I love that idea! Where do I find information on configuring Postfix so it
    will auto-generate the aliases?

    Larry

    --
    J C Lawrence
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?
  • J C Lawrence at Oct 3, 2001 at 3:22 am

    I love that idea! Where do I find information on configuring
    Postfix so it will auto-generate the aliases?
    IIRC there's a HOWTO in Mailman's CVS. You can also find a copy if
    you search the -developers archives.

    --
    J C Lawrence
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?