FAQ
Hello:

Lists set as "public" (i.e., archive_private = 0) aren't appearing in the
listinfo page (though they do appear in the admin page). Is there a cure
for this?

--
Eric P.
Los Gatos, CA

Search Discussions

  • J C Lawrence at Oct 2, 2001 at 8:20 am

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:10:40 -0700 (PDT) eric-mailman wrote:

    Hello: Lists set as "public" (i.e., archive_private = 0) aren't
    appearing in the listinfo page (though they do appear in the admin
    page). Is there a cure for this?
    Your VHosts don't agree.

    --
    J C Lawrence
    ---------(*) Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?
    http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/ Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
  • Eric-Mailman at Oct 2, 2001 at 8:33 am

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
    eric-mailman wrote:
    Hello: Lists set as "public" (i.e., archive_private = 0) aren't
    appearing in the listinfo page (though they do appear in the admin
    page). Is there a cure for this?
    Your VHosts don't agree.
    JC:

    Recursively grep'ing $prefix, the only reference to vhost appears in
    $prefix/bin/list_lists. (And that doesn't tell me nothin'!) Please
    elaborate.

    --
    Eric P.
    Los Gatos, CA
  • J C Lawrence at Oct 2, 2001 at 3:28 pm

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:33:07 -0700 (PDT) eric-mailman wrote:
    Your VHosts don't agree.
    Recursively grep'ing $prefix, the only reference to vhost appears
    in $prefix/bin/list_lists. (And that doesn't tell me nothin'!)
    Please elaborate.
    Hostname this list prefers on the first admin page for each list
    must match the VHost you want that list's web interface to appear
    under.

    --
    J C Lawrence
    ---------(*) Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?
    http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/ Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
  • Akop Pogosian at Oct 2, 2001 at 10:30 pm

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:33:07 -0700 (PDT)
    eric-mailman wrote:
    Your VHosts don't agree.
    Recursively grep'ing $prefix, the only reference to vhost appears
    in $prefix/bin/list_lists. (And that doesn't tell me nothin'!)
    Please elaborate.
    Hostname this list prefers on the first admin page for each list
    must match the VHost you want that list's web interface to appear
    under.
    That's an annoyance IMO. For example at our site the posting address
    for all lists is supposed to be <list-name>@ocf.berkeley.edu

    However, the web server address for the same site is
    www.ocf.berkeley.edu. If I change prefered host to
    www.ocf.berkeley.edu then mailman suggests on the listinfo web page
    for that list that "To post a message to all the list members, send
    email to mmtest at www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU". I certaintly, don't want anyone
    to use the www name in the mailing lists. Moreover, I changed the
    prefered host address fro www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU for one of the lists
    and it still does not show up on the /mailman/listinfo web page.


    -akop
  • J C Lawrence at Oct 3, 2001 at 3:08 am

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:30:25 -0700 (PDT) Akop Pogosian wrote:

    However, the web server address for the same site is
    www.ocf.berkeley.edu. If I change prefered host to
    www.ocf.berkeley.edu then mailman suggests on the listinfo web
    page for that list that "To post a message to all the list
    members, send email to mmtest at www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU". I certaintly,
    don't want anyone to use the www name in the mailing
    lists. Moreover, I changed the prefered host address fro
    www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU for one of the lists and it still does not
    show up on the /mailman/listinfo web page.
    This is why there are two addresses there, one for the Web VHost,
    and one for mail.

    --
    J C Lawrence
    ---------(*) Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?
    http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/ Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
  • Akop Pogosian at Oct 3, 2001 at 6:24 am

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:30:25 -0700 (PDT)
    Akop Pogosian wrote:
    However, the web server address for the same site is
    www.ocf.berkeley.edu. If I change prefered host to
    www.ocf.berkeley.edu then mailman suggests on the listinfo web
    page for that list that "To post a message to all the list
    members, send email to mmtest at www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU". I certaintly,
    don't want anyone to use the www name in the mailing
    lists. Moreover, I changed the prefered host address fro
    www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU for one of the lists and it still does not
    show up on the /mailman/listinfo web page.
    This is why there are two addresses there, one for the Web VHost,
    and one for mail.

    I can't find the option that sets a default name for vhost. Is that supposed
    to be in general options?


    -akop
  • J C Lawrence at Oct 3, 2001 at 4:35 pm

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 23:24:40 -0700 (PDT) Akop Pogosian wrote:

    I can't find the option that sets a default name for vhost. Is
    that supposed to be in general options?
    This is set at config time, preserved in ~/Mailman/Config.py and is
    updatable/overrideable in ~/Mailman/mm_cfg.py.

    --
    J C Lawrence
    ---------(*) Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?
    http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/ Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
  • Akop Pogosian at Oct 4, 2001 at 5:10 am

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 23:24:40 -0700 (PDT)
    Akop Pogosian wrote:
    I can't find the option that sets a default name for vhost. Is
    that supposed to be in general options?
    This is set at config time, preserved in ~/Mailman/Config.py and is
    updatable/overrideable in ~/Mailman/mm_cfg.py.
    I couldn't find a file named Config.py anywhere under Mailman
    installation directory, versions 2.0.1 and 2.0.6.

    I also run case insensitive grep on all files in the Mailman directory
    and I can't find any file with strings "vhost" in it. Adding
    vhost = 'name'
    in mm_cfg.yp doesn't seem to help either.


    -akop
  • J C Lawrence at Oct 4, 2001 at 5:16 am

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:10:20 -0700 (PDT) Akop Pogosian wrote:

    I couldn't find a file named Config.py anywhere under Mailman
    installation directory, versions 2.0.1 and 2.0.6.
    Sorry, ~/Mailman/Defaults.py.

    Note: read the comments.

    cf DEFAULT_HOST_NAME and DEFAULT_URL,
    I also run case insensitive grep on all files in the Mailman
    directory and I can't find any file with strings "vhost" in
    it. Adding vhost = 'name' in mm_cfg.yp doesn't seem to help
    either.
    Most of the time you'll want the per-list fields on the first admin
    page.

    --
    J C Lawrence
    ---------(*) Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?
    http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/ Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
  • Akop Pogosian at Oct 4, 2001 at 5:51 am

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
    Akop Pogosian wrote:
    I couldn't find a file named Config.py anywhere under Mailman
    installation directory, versions 2.0.1 and 2.0.6.
    Sorry, ~/Mailman/Defaults.py.

    Note: read the comments.

    cf DEFAULT_HOST_NAME and DEFAULT_URL,
    DEFAULT_URL is already set correctly.

    However, like I mentioned previously, changing the DEFAULT_HOST_NAME
    to match the web server name does not fix the problem, public lists
    are still not listed. Moreover, DEFAULT_HOST_NAME also becomes part of
    some addresses like the MAILMAN_OWNER which is set in the following
    way:

    MAILMAN_OWNER = 'mailman-owner@%s' % DEFAULT_HOST_NAME


    -akop
  • J C Lawrence at Oct 4, 2001 at 3:28 pm

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:51:16 -0700 (PDT) Akop Pogosian wrote:

    However, like I mentioned previously, changing the
    DEFAULT_HOST_NAME to match the web server name does not fix the
    problem, public lists are still not listed. Moreover,
    DEFAULT_HOST_NAME also becomes part of some addresses like the
    MAILMAN_OWNER which is set in the following way:
    Of course. Those values are used as seeds for the values in each
    list's config.db, To handle already created lists you have to edit
    the matching values on the first page of the admin pages.

    --
    J C Lawrence
    ---------(*) Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
    claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?
    http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/ Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
  • Akop Pogosian at Oct 2, 2001 at 10:18 am

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 eric-mailman at pretorious.net wrote:

    Hello:

    Lists set as "public" (i.e., archive_private = 0) aren't appearing in the
    listinfo page (though they do appear in the admin page). Is there a cure
    for this?

    --
    Eric P.
    Los Gatos, CA

    I'd like to add that I am also seeing the same problem with 2.0.6. I
    just upgraded to Mailman 2.0.6. The only odd thing about our setup is
    that the web server and mail server are different machines. Mailman
    installation lives in /opt/mailman on the mail server and is exported
    to the web server over NFS with full read-write privileges. The
    publicly advertised lists are not listed in /mailman/listinfo any
    more. It used to work fine before the upgrade.


    -akop
  • James Watson at Oct 2, 2001 at 11:55 am

    On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:10:40AM -0700, eric-mailman at pretorious.net wrote:
    Lists set as "public" (i.e., archive_private = 0) aren't appearing in the
    listinfo page (though they do appear in the admin page). Is there a cure
    for this?
    Not sure if this is your problem or not, but there's a bug in the listinfo
    page, which requires that the case of the Base URL for the list
    match the url entered in your browser. You can avoid this by setting
    VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW=0 in your mm_cfg.py file.

    -James

    --
    James Watson Futuristic Technologies, LLC
    james at FuturisTech.net 716 South Main St.
    (229) 985 - 7515 Moultrie, GA 31768
    www.FuturisTech.net <><
  • James Watson at Oct 4, 2001 at 12:21 pm

    On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:10:40AM -0700, eric-mailman at pretorious.net wrote:
    Lists set as "public" (i.e., archive_private = 0) aren't appearing in the
    listinfo page (though they do appear in the admin page). Is there a cure
    for this?
    This may be a dumb question, but you say the list is public because
    archive_private=0. I assume archive_private refers to the lists archives,
    not the advertisement of the list itself. Check the first option on the
    privacy page, and make sure the list is set to be advertised.

    Also, did you ever try putting VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW=0 in mm_cfg.py?

    IIRC, setting this to 1 means "only advertise lists whose url matches the
    current browser's url", and setting it to 0 means "advertise all public
    lists, regardless of the url".

    The default value is 1, which bit me because it does a case-sensitive
    comparison of the list url and the browser url. The end user would only
    see the advertised lists if they happened to type in the url in the same
    case as the configured list url.

    -James

    --
    James Watson Futuristic Technologies, LLC
    james at FuturisTech.net 716 South Main St.
    (229) 985 - 7515 Moultrie, GA 31768
    www.FuturisTech.net <><
  • Akop Pogosian at Oct 4, 2001 at 1:17 pm

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, James Watson wrote:
    On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:10:40AM -0700, eric-mailman at pretorious.net wrote:
    Lists set as "public" (i.e., archive_private = 0) aren't appearing in the
    listinfo page (though they do appear in the admin page). Is there a cure
    for this?
    This may be a dumb question, but you say the list is public because
    archive_private=0. I assume archive_private refers to the lists archives,
    not the advertisement of the list itself. Check the first option on the
    privacy page, and make sure the list is set to be advertised.

    Also, did you ever try putting VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW=0 in mm_cfg.py?

    IIRC, setting this to 1 means "only advertise lists whose url matches the
    current browser's url", and setting it to 0 means "advertise all public
    lists, regardless of the url".

    The default value is 1, which bit me because it does a case-sensitive
    comparison of the list url and the browser url. The end user would only
    see the advertised lists if they happened to type in the url in the same
    case as the configured list url.

    Hmm, I added VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW=0 to our mm_cfg.py and it seems to
    have fixed the problem. I tried playing with the case of the URLs I
    type in the browser and such and I still could not get the public
    lists to be listed on the web page without VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW=0.
    This is Mailman 2.0.6 by the way. I think we didn't have this problem
    in 2.0.1. Since I don't care much about virtual host support, this
    should be a good enough fix. Thanks to all for help.


    -akop

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 2, '01 at 8:10a
activeOct 4, '01 at 3:28p
posts16
users4
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase