Hi Members!
I have installed first time mailman.
It seems to be working, but the subscribe isn't really working.
and I made the subscribeing steps, seems to be all Ok.
But when I'm accessing the www.myyyyssserver.com/mailman/admin.cgi/test
page and viewing the subscribed members, The subscribed e-mail address
isn't appear in the list.
The Big Question:
WHY :)?

Thanks :)
Istvan

  • Robert J Shepherd at May 23, 2001 at 11:12 am
    Hi all

    I've searched through months of archives and I can't find the answer to this
    so I appeal to you for help. We're running a dozen Mailman lists on one
    server (Red Hat/Apache/Sendmail) and they're all fine except one, let's call
    it 'thelist', for which 3 or 4 times a day we get the following error
    message:-

    -----------------------------------
    Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/home/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 65, in ?
    main()
    File "/home/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 40, in main
    mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 79, in __init__
    self.Load()
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 891, in Load
    dict, e = self.__load(dbfile)
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 868, in __load
    fp = open(dbfile)
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
    '/home/mailman/lists/thelist/config.db'
    -----------------------------------

    This suggests a perms problem but we've checked them over and over. They
    pass checkperms and they're exactly the same as all the other lists.

    We considered it might be the fault for which Mailman 2.0.4 was issued,
    except that we're running Python 2.0, not 2.1, and as I understand it, the
    fix is only for Python 2.1 so I'm rather wary about upgrading Mailman.

    Can anyone help please?

    TIA

    Robert
  • Robert J Shepherd at May 23, 2001 at 11:20 am
    Sorry ... I should add that the error isn't just for the senddigests cron.
    Here's two others, which suggest the error happens with every (or nearly
    every) use of config.db:-

    -----------------------------------
    Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/home/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip", line 146, in ?
    main()
    File "/home/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip", line 102, in main
    mlist = MailList.MailList(name, lock=0)
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 79, in __init__
    self.Load()
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 891, in Load
    dict, e = self.__load(dbfile)
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 868, in __load
    fp = open(dbfile)
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
    '/home/mailman/lists/bnmlist/config.db'
    -----------------------------------

    and

    -----------------------------------
    Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/home/mailman/cron/checkdbs", line 92, in ?
    main()
    File "/home/mailman/cron/checkdbs", line 41, in main
    mlist = MailList.MailList(name)
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 77, in __init__
    self.Lock()
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1342, in Lock
[...]

  • Barry A. Warsaw at May 23, 2001 at 4:16 pm
    "RJS" == Robert J Shepherd <Mailman at RobertJShepherd.com> writes:
    RJS> Sorry ... I should add that the error isn't just for the
    RJS> senddigests cron. Here's two others, which suggest the error
    RJS> happens with every (or nearly every) use of config.db:-

    Are the errors only happening with the cron jobs? If so, then perhaps
    you're not executing them under the mailman user and mailman group.
    Perhaps you installed them in some other user's crontab, and that user
    isn't in the mailman group. Mailman's permissions are based on group
    ownership, so you want to be sure that the files are rw for group
    mailman and that any process that touches files lives in group
    mailman.

    And no, I don't think upgrading will fix your problem, although I
    still recommend it. Mailman 2.0.4 stops some annoying warnings when
    run under Python 2.1. The Mailman 2.0.5 fix is a little more
    important if you're running Python 2.0 since that will fix stale lock
    turds that can occur when a user hits the stop button on their
    browser.

    -Barry

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython