Good Morning,

Well I've converted my 65 majordomo lists over to Mailman. I only had
a few issues. The one I have today is that an archive conversion
(~mailman/bin/arch) is taking forever. There were several mailing
lists that it took a few hours to convert, but I suffered through it.

This one has been running for 10 hours so far. It is doing things
[mostly mremaps()], but it takes way too long. This seemed to be the
case that once it got to a certain point it had trouble computing the
different threads. Right now it is doing the pipermail.pck and has been
for just over an hour.

How long would one expect a 116M mbox to convert? Are there thoughts
on improving performance of this conversion?

Ciao,

--
Pug Bainter | AMD, Inc.
System Engineer, MTS | Mail Stop 625

Search Discussions

  • Pug Bainter at May 4, 2001 at 1:44 am
    Good Morning,

    Not long ago I asked about doing an announcement list that was made up
    of other lists. The suggestion was to extract the members of the
    different lists and sync them onto a master list.

    In order to give people the option of only subscribing to the
    Announcement list, I've set it up so that there is a hidden
    Announcement list that is the place where mail is forwarded to and
    approved form.

    This works great but I have a couple questions.

    1) Is there a way to extract only the members that are not set to nomail?
    I want to exclude people who are set to nomail because of choice or
    because of bouncing email.

    2) Is there a way to link the archives of the hidden list with the
    published list? While I have changed the symlink in archives/public,
    I'm not sure if that is the correct way nor if it will last.

    Thanks a lot for feedback!

    Ciao,

    --
    Pug Bainter | AMD, Inc.
    System Engineer, MTS | Mail Stop 625
    Pug.Bainter at amd.com | pug at pug.net | 5900 E. Ben White Blvd
    Phone: (512) 602-0364 | Fax: (512) 602-6970 | Austin, TX 78741
    Note: The views may not reflect my employers, or even my own for that matter.
  • Dan Mick at May 4, 2001 at 2:16 am

    1) Is there a way to extract only the members that are not set to nomail?
    I want to exclude people who are set to nomail because of choice or
    because of bouncing email.
    You could hack this bin/withlist script, which finds the "nomail"
    members:

    import sys
    import Mailman.mm_cfg

    def nomail(list):

    for member in list.members.keys():
    try:
    if list.user_options[member] & Mailman.mm_cfg.DisableDelivery:
    print member
    except:
    print >> sys.stderr, "%s has no user_options" % member
    pass

    for member in list.digest_members.keys():
    try:
    if list.user_options[member] & Mailman.mm_cfg.DisableDelivery:
    print member
    except:
    # normal for digest_members to have no options; means MIME digests
    pass
    sys.exit(0)
  • Marc MERLIN at May 4, 2001 at 3:22 am

    This one has been running for 10 hours so far. It is doing things
    [mostly mremaps()], but it takes way too long. This seemed to be the
    case that once it got to a certain point it had trouble computing the
    different threads. Right now it is doing the pipermail.pck and has been
    for just over an hour.

    How long would one expect a 116M mbox to convert? Are there thoughts
    on improving performance of this conversion?
    Pipermail is very inefficient and very memory hungry (I've had it run out or
    Ram on a 512MB machine). The only real solution is to suffer through it, or
    not to use it and use monharc instead.
    1) Is there a way to extract only the members that are not set to nomail?
    Another alternative to the script that was given to you is:
    chef:/var/local/mailman/bin# ./dumpdb ../lists/test/config.db
    (...)
    'user_options': { 'jneal at valinux.com': 8,
    'lfriedman at valinux.com': 8,
    'merlin at valinux.com': 24,
    'rodmur at valinux.com': 8},

    Each option is one bit.
    2) Is there a way to link the archives of the hidden list with the
    published list? While I have changed the symlink in archives/public,
    I'm not sure if that is the correct way nor if it will last.
    That should actually be it. It will work until someone tries to switch the
    archives to private and back to public, which will reset the symlink.
    Of course, you have two symlinks: list and list.mbox

    Marc

    Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key
  • Pug Bainter at May 4, 2001 at 12:33 pm

    Marc MERLIN (marc_news at valinux.com) said something that sounded like:
    How long would one expect a 116M mbox to convert? Are there thoughts
    on improving performance of this conversion?
    Pipermail is very inefficient and very memory hungry (I've had it run out or
    Ram on a 512MB machine). The only real solution is to suffer through it, or
    not to use it and use monharc instead.
    I will go back through the archives and read about the side-effects of
    monharc real quick.
    1) Is there a way to extract only the members that are not set to nomail?
    Another alternative to the script that was given to you is:
    That's doable, as well as possibly the withlist script posted last
    night. Where are the bits documented?
    2) Is there a way to link the archives of the hidden list with the
    published list? While I have changed the symlink in archives/public,
    I'm not sure if that is the correct way nor if it will last.
    That should actually be it. It will work until someone tries to switch the
    archives to private and back to public, which will reset the symlink.
    It seemed too easy.
    Of course, you have two symlinks: list and list.mbox
    Yep.

    Ciao,

    --
    Phelim "Pug" Gervase | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
    Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra | graceful about that lady. A young woman bursting with

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 4, '01 at 1:35a
activeMay 4, '01 at 12:33p