I would like to set up a list on my office machine to be accessible to
the outside world without using my machine's domain name
(bla.bla.bla.umn.edu). Is it possible to:

1. create some kind of virtual domain like whateverdomain.net that the
outside could type into a browser and find my machine at
bla.bla.bla.umn.edu?

2. Configure a mailman list to use that virtual domain in it's list name
instead of http://bla.bla.bla.umn.edu/mailman/listinfo/whateverlistname

Any and all advice on this would be greatly appreciated,

Kirk

Search Discussions

  • Stanton Schell at Feb 26, 2001 at 8:06 pm
    If you would like to simply have the list use another domain, configure the
    domain you would like the list to use in the list admin section towards the
    bottom. (This is, of course, in addition to creating the virtual site in your web
    server and having your MTA receive email for that domain)

    However, if you would like a full separation of virtual domains, where you can
    have multiple lists with the same name going to different domains (e.g.,
    list1 at whateverdomain.net as well as list1 at bla.bla.bla.umn.edu), see this
    thorough and effective treatment from the archive:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2000-October/007022.html

    -stanton
    --
    Stanton Schell