I am refining the definition of the problem 'Can not check MX records'

Apparently there is a bad address in the users list, bad in the respect
that the destination server has a broken MX record. consequently, the
posted message is patiently waiting in queue, hitting a brick wall every
minute.

How can I flush out or delete messages queued by Mailman? I have looked
thorough the directories and archives, but I can't seem to locate much
on this one.

--
Richard Martin
OriGen, inc.

Search Discussions

  • Richard Martin at Feb 6, 2001 at 2:44 pm
    I am posting this solution back to the list so the title will be searchable.

    In addition to changing the sendmail.mc file, one can hand edit the sendmail.cf
    file and change the Timeout.rcpt setting. In many default configurations, this
    line is merely commented out.

    Glen Foster wrote:
    It is not just bad MX records, many DNS irregularities are responsible
    for this behaviour. It is because sendmail considers unavailable
    domain resolutions potential SPAM.

    The sendmail configuration parameter

    define(`confTO_RCPT',`60m')dnl

    governs how long sendmail will try to resolve a RCPT. It can be
    significantly shortened without too much difficulty. However, setting
    it too short will result in non-delivery to legitimate addresses that
    are behind slow, busy, or intermittent links. See the sendmail docs.

    Alternatively, you can set sendmail to queue incoming messages rather
    than trying immediate delivery by putting this in your .mc file:

    define(`confDELIVERY_MODE',`defer')dnl

    Then sendmail will accept and try to deliver these, and bounce them
    back if undelivered after the usual delay. The bounces are then
    processed by Mailman to clean the list.

    Note that circumventing the anti-SPAM measures may have undesireable
    effects on publically-available MTAs. However, in practice, I haven't
    run into serious problems doing it.

    If you do this, there are other operational tunings that you may want
    to investigate including limiting the number of daemons sendmail is
    running simultaneously.

    Of course, after customizing your .mc file you have to re-generate
    your sendmail.cf and restart sendmail.

    If you don't want to change your sendmail configuration, the only
    alternative is to manually delete the hanging messages from
    ~mailman/qfiles. Each message is represented by two files, the
    message itself (*.msg) and a control file (*.db). The
    ~mailman/bin/dumpdb program will show the contents of the control
    file. You should turn off qrunner while you are manipulating the
    queue files.

    Finally, if you do nothing, eventually the qfiles will time out and be
    deleted. There is a parameter in ~mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py that
    controls how long this is. But this will make delivery logy for
    legitimate recipients and bounce processing is not performed. Other
    parameters can be adjusted (e.g. shortening the time qrunner has to
    deliver) as well.

    I've tried all these, you get the most mileage out of configuring
    sendmail to defer delivery.

    Good luck,
    Glen Foster <gfoster at gfoster.com>

    Richard Martin writes:
    I am refining the definition of the problem 'Can not check MX records'

    Apparently there is a bad address in the users list, bad in the respect
    that the destination server has a broken MX record. consequently, the
    posted message is patiently waiting in queue, hitting a brick wall every
    minute.

    How can I flush out or delete messages queued by Mailman? I have looked
    thorough the directories and archives, but I can't seem to locate much
    on this one.

    --
    Richard Martin
    OriGen, inc.
    Austin, TX 78703
    --
    Richard Martin
    OriGen, inc.
    Austin, TX 78703
  • Dan Mick at Feb 6, 2001 at 8:32 pm

    Richard Martin wrote:
    I am refining the definition of the problem 'Can not check MX records'

    Apparently there is a bad address in the users list, bad in the respect
    that the destination server has a broken MX record. consequently, the
    posted message is patiently waiting in queue, hitting a brick wall every
    minute.

    How can I flush out or delete messages queued by Mailman? I have looked
    thorough the directories and archives, but I can't seem to locate much
    on this one.
    That's because it doesn't involve Mailman. Mailman has given the message to
    your MTA; it's now the MTA who is (correctly) retrying delivery.

    If you feel you must violate the accepted timeout periods helping to
    ensure reliable Internet mail delivery, or if you just want to punish this
    user for having flaky DNS, you can probably remove queued messages by hand
    (if it's sendmail) or perhaps with some more-complex procedure (for some
    other MTA).
  • J C Lawrence at Feb 11, 2001 at 4:52 am

    How can I flush out or delete messages queued by Mailman? I have
    looked thorough the directories and archives, but I can't seem to
    locate much on this one.
    Configure your MTA to not do DNS verification upong receipt of a
    message, but only after it is safely tucked away within its queue.

    J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
    ---------(*) http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython