Apologies if this is in the documentation somewhere - I have tried looking!

Question:
I'm the administrator for a number of lists and often receive a message from
a list member alerting me to a change in their email address. Can I amend
their email address for them or do they have to re-subscribe to the list
using their new address?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve McDonald

Search Discussions

  • Dan Mick at Jan 10, 2001 at 2:18 am

    Apologies if this is in the documentation somewhere - I have tried looking!

    Question:
    I'm the administrator for a number of lists and often receive a message from
    a list member alerting me to a change in their email address. Can I amend
    their email address for them or do they have to re-subscribe to the list
    using their new address?
    Unsub/resub is the only answer I know of.

    Either of you can do it.
  • Mike Diehn at Jan 10, 2001 at 1:12 pm
    * Steve McDonald (steve.mcdonald at med.monash.edu.au) [01 09, 2001 21:20]:
    Apologies if this is in the documentation somewhere - I have tried looking!

    Question:
    I'm the administrator for a number of lists and often receive a message from
    a list member alerting me to a change in their email address. Can I amend
    their email address for them or do they have to re-subscribe to the list
    using their new address?
    You can do it for them, but you'll be unsubscribing them and
    resubscribing them under their new email address.

    Remember, Mailman has no understanding of "people." It knows
    only email addresses. So, to mailman, mikediehn at domain.com is a
    completely different thing to michaeldiehn at domain.com.

    Mike
  • Phil Riding at Jan 12, 2001 at 10:24 am

    I'm the administrator for a number of lists and often receive a message from
    a list member alerting me to a change in their email address. Can I amend
    their email address for them or do they have to re-subscribe to the list
    using their new address?
    As far as I know, you can't amend the address as such - you need to
    unsubscribe the 'old' address and then resubscribe them using the new
    address (or you could tell them to do the same using their subscription
    page).

    Regards

    Phil Riding
  • Christopher VanOosterhout at Jan 12, 2001 at 1:26 pm
    In fact, Mailman does include a function to do this. You can use the
    command line clone_member command and not only change for a specific list
    but for all lists hosted by a particular Mailman program.

    Chris

    Mailman-Users maillist - Mailman-Users at python.org
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Joe Block at Jan 12, 2001 at 4:01 pm

    Christopher VanOosterhout wrote:
    In fact, Mailman does include a function to do this. You can use the
    command line clone_member command and not only change for a specific
    list but for all lists hosted by a particular Mailman program.
    I can do that as the site admin, but individual listadmins can't.

    And one more thing - it'd be nice if there was a moderator-only status -
    I've got lists where I'd like to have someone be able to approve
    postings but not make any changes to the list configuration.

    jpb
    --
    Joe Block <jpb at creol.ucf.edu>
    University of Central Florida School of Optics/CREOL

    Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.
  • Dan Mick at Jan 12, 2001 at 9:21 pm
    Well, sorta. clone_member means you end up with user 'b' who has the same attributes
    as user 'a', but it doesn't get rid of user 'a'. clone_member followed by a remove_members
    might be pretty painless, though; nice find.

    Mailman-Users maillist - Mailman-Users at python.org
  • Mark Lednor at Jan 12, 2001 at 10:26 pm

    Steve McDonald wrote:
    I'm the administrator for a number of lists and often receive a message from
    a list member alerting me to a change in their email address. Can I amend
    their email address for them or do they have to re-subscribe to the list
    using their new address?
    If you have access to the mailman account on the box then you can use
    clone_member to copy the member's profile to the new address, and delete
    the old address, in one operation.

    Regards,

    Mark.
    --
    WhoAmI: Mark Lednor (aka mlednor at cix) Disclaimer:
    Work : mark.lednor at controls.eurotherm.co.uk My Views ...

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJan 10, '01 at 2:13a