From: Keir Vaughan-Taylor [SMTP:keir at commsecure.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 4:47 PM
To: James Sintz
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/home/mailman/lists/test/config.db'

James Sintz wrote:
Just installed Mailman and when I try to access the admin page for my test
list I get the following message in my browser.

"Bug in Mailman version 2.0

We're sorry, we hit a bug!
Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but
the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs. "

Here is what the error log says:

Traceback (innermost last):
File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 222, in ?
main()
File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 203, in main
process_lists(lock)
File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 140, in process_lists
mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 79, in __init__
self.Load()
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 891, in Load
dict, e = self.__load(dbfile)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 868, in __load
fp = open(dbfile)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/home/mailman/lists/test/config.db'
Do I have something set up wrong or is this truly a bug?

Mailman-Users maillist - Mailman-Users at python.org
This is a group/ownership problem and the cron daemon can't execute the
scripts. Two sources of error. One is that you must have user id mailman
when
you
configure and set the crontab.in into you crontab directory.
Also make sure with the --with-cgi-gid and --with-mail-gid parameters are
set
corretly
during the configuration run. This is a major nuisance about mailman at
present.
Check in /etc/passwd to find the mail
Default user.....sometimes it is called mail

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 7, '00 at 4:26p
activeDec 7, '00 at 4:26p