A previous list server we've used had a capability of blocking attachments
to list mail and I've searched in vain for a way to do that with mailman.
Is it possible? If not, what would it take to add that as a feature in a
future rev? Another feature I would like to see is the option of
disallowing formatted mail, eg HTML or RTF since the lists I run have many
members who don't use MIME enabled readers to get their mail.

Any strategies for handling those things?

Michael

Search Discussions

  • Steven Champeon at Apr 4, 2000 at 7:16 pm

    A previous list server we've used had a capability of blocking attachments
    to list mail and I've searched in vain for a way to do that with mailman.
    Is it possible? Yes.
    Any strategies for handling those things?
    Set 'hold posts with header matching regexp' to something like this:

    You may have to tweak the regexps.

    HTH,
    Steve

    --
    tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
    hesketh.com is hiring: <http://hesketh.com/careers/>

    Quoting Michael Sweeney (sweeney at projectcool.com):
    A previous list server we've used had a capability of blocking attachments
    to list mail and I've searched in vain for a way to do that with mailman.
    Is it possible? If not, what would it take to add that as a feature in a
    future rev? Another feature I would like to see is the option of
    disallowing formatted mail, eg HTML or RTF since the lists I run have many
    members who don't use MIME enabled readers to get their mail.

    Any strategies for handling those things?
    Run the email through procmail before it gets to mailman.

    These instructions probably only work for the procmail that comes with RedHat
    Linux, but I have a procmail file in /etc/procmailrcs that belongs to "nobody"
    (because that's the userid mailman expects to get email from). That procmail
    file does a lot of spam detection and rejection, and then at the end, if the
    mail passes all the other tests, it does:
    :0
    /usr/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post ${MAILMAN}
    In my aliases file, for each mailing list, instead of invoking it with the
    normal:
    lugor-announce: "|/usr/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post lugor-announce"
    I instead do:
    lugor-announce: "|/usr/bin/procmail -m MAILMAN=lugor-announce /etc/procmailrcs/mailman"

    Doing all these sorts of rejections can be easy with procmail and formail, or
    you can get quite complicated. For instance, you could use the following rule
    to block anything with embedded scripts and send a nasty message back (I
    haven't tested this, but it's based on a ruleset it I use):

    :0 BHh
    * !^Subject: .*\(fwd\)