I would like to install Mailman, but I don't have root access to my server,
only shell access. I am using an iServer Virtual Server. Is there anyway
to get around the need for root access? Does mailman have to run as its
own user and group?

Thanks,
Joan Coyne

Search Discussions

  • Gerrit Holl at Feb 8, 2000 at 6:46 am

    Joan Coyne wrote on 949949601:
    I would like to install Mailman, but I don't have root access to my server,
    only shell access. I am using an iServer Virtual Server. Is there anyway
    to get around the need for root access? Does mailman have to run as its
    own user and group?
    You can specify any user id Mailman needs to run on, but what you'll
    certainly need is access to /cgi-bin and access to the aliases file.
    The latter is probably only writable for root. This is a fundamental
    problem, because Mailmans cgi-script need to be in a directory with a
    Apache ScriptAlias option and without the aliases file you can't make
    a mailinglist.

    regards,
    Gerrit.

    --
    Homepage: http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit
  • Nick Moffitt at Feb 8, 2000 at 5:05 pm

    begin Gerrit Holl quotation:
    Joan Coyne wrote on 949949601:
    I would like to install Mailman, but I don't have root access to
    my server, only shell access. I am using an iServer Virtual
    Server. Is there anyway to get around the need for root access?
    Does mailman have to run as its own user and group?
    You can specify any user id Mailman needs to run on, but what you'll
    certainly need is access to /cgi-bin and access to the aliases file.
    The latter is probably only writable for root. This is a fundamental
    problem, because Mailmans cgi-script need to be in a directory with
    a Apache ScriptAlias option and without the aliases file you can't
    make a mailinglist.
    Actually, the aliases file problem could be solved with
    procmail and the heavy use of plus-addressing.

    He will, of course, need to have a cgi-capable directory to
    use. If cgi is allowed on his public_html, it may be possible to
    define all of the mailman configuration to work with it.

    LinuxCabal.Org - Co-location facilities and meeting space
  • Bill Warner at Feb 10, 2000 at 10:46 pm

    Joan Coyne wrote on 949949601:
    I would like to install Mailman, but I don't have root access to
    my server, only shell access. I am using an iServer Virtual
    Server. Is there anyway to get around the need for root access?
    Does mailman have to run as its own user and group?
    Joan,

    Mailman works just fine on an iServer VS. I have v1.0 running there right
    now. You do have to make some mods to the configure and configure.in files
    to stop the build process from trying to force you to run it as
    mailman:mailman (uid:gid). Once the configure[.in] file mods (2 lines in
    each file) are made, mailman will run just fine as <your_server_login>:vuser.

    Here is basically what you need to do:

    1. Make sure that you have installed an appropriate version of python
    locally on your virtual server.

    2. Use vadduser to create the mailman pseudo-user and home directory. Then
    set the directory perms per the mailman INSTALL file.

    3. Edit the mailman configure[.in] files to
    (a) replace references to uid mailman with <your_server_login>, and
    (b) replace references to gid mailman with vuser.
    (I can provide v1.0 diffs for this if necessary, but it's not too hard to
    figure out what needs to be changed.)

    4. Configure mailman like this (assuming that ~/usr/home/mailman is you
    mailman home):
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/home/<your_server_login>/usr/home/mailman
    --with-mail-gid=vuser --with-cgi-gid=vuser

    5. Follow the rest of the INSTALL directions, including possibly README.BSD.

    --Bill

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 8, '00 at 12:53a