Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 05:05:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Anna Ravenscroft <rev_anna_r@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [EuroPython] some ideas for the registration and
talksubmission workflow for EPC 2004
To: Joachim Schmitz <js@aixtraware.de>

Hi folks,

sorry to miss the IRC meeting(s) last week. It was a pretty hectic
week.

--- Joachim Schmitz wrote:
Hi,

I will build the new system with ArcheTypes, at the moment I think of
these basic types

- poeple: contains data for poeple doing something at or for the
conference, can be individuals or organisations.

- talks: the talk and tracks

- registrations: the registration (conference and lodging)

So to register or to submit a talk one first has to register and is
then
logged in. This way one has to enter the individual data only once.
I'm a little confused by what you mean by "register".

Do you mean, in order to submit a talk, the potential speaker would
first have to *register* for the conference (implying they would have
to pay money!) and later find out whether or not they'll be a
speaker?
If so, I have concerns about this process:

*I don't really feel that folks should be required to register in
advance for the conference (implying coming up with the full
registration *PAYMENT*) in order to submit a talk and potentially be
speaker.

*I'd hate to have to deal with the issue of refunding money already
paid for folks who are accepted as speakers.

IMHO, submitting a talk should be as easy as possible for the
potential
speakers. Yes - the data for speaker information (Name, address,
contact info and such) should be linked to the attendee data, but it
should be "behind the scenes" so that the speaker can simply submit
their talk and wait to see if they're accepted. Once confirmed, then
they can complete registration as a speaker at the reduced rate.

If registering for the conference and paying the registration fee
isn't
what you mean, can you clarify what you do mean by "register"? I may
very likely be misunderstanding something...

Anna

Search Discussions

  • Michael Hudson at Feb 3, 2004 at 8:22 am

    Anna Ravenscroft writes:

    This, unfortunately, went only to Joachim, because the list's
    "reply-to" is set up incorrectly, apparently, to reply to the
    individual sender instead of to the list. If someone knows how to fix
    that, I would be eternally grateful. Why it's not the default, I don't
    know.
    No chance: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

    I would say "get a better mailer" but...
    [Hitting "reply all" on Yahoo is, for some reason, not always as easy
    as it should be.]
    Argh!

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    Of course, it obviously is beta hardware so such things are to be
    expected, but that doesn't mean that you can't point your fingers