Hi, I'd like to work on some documentation issues in the tracker, but
I have a few questions before getting started.

For previewing and checking purposes, what is the preferred command to
generate HTML files from the *.rst files in source control? The
documentation here--

http://docs.python.org/devguide/docquality.html

mentions a `Doc/tools/dailybuild.py` script, but that script doesn't
seem to exist any longer

Also, is there a recommended way to check documentation submissions
for style in advance? I see an `rstlint.py` script in that same
`Doc/tools` directory, so perhaps using that with some invocation is
the recommended way.

Lastly, if any of this is spelled out elsewhere like on a web page or
in a prior e-mail, pointing me to that would be great.

Thanks,
--Chris

Search Discussions

  • Ned Deily at Jul 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm
    In article
    <caotb1wfd8q2hm=ugaj_kbuneci1drw9igpfg+=1gwnk-id6gog@mail.gmail.com>,
    Chris Jerdonek wrote:
    For previewing and checking purposes, what is the preferred command to
    generate HTML files from the *.rst files in source control?
    Use hg to create a current Python source directory, then look at
    Doc/README.txt. Basically, you should just need to run "cd Doc; make
    html".

    --
    Ned Deily,
    nad at acm.org
  • Chris Jerdonek at Jul 6, 2012 at 11:06 am

    From: Ned Deily <nad@acm.org>
    Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:50:56 -0700
    For previewing and checking purposes, what is the preferred command to
    generate HTML files from the *.rst files in source control?
    Use hg to create a current Python source directory, then look at
    Doc/README.txt. Basically, you should just need to run "cd Doc; make
    html".
    Thanks. On the web this information can be found here:

    http://docs.python.org/devguide/documenting.html#building-the-documentation

    I was looking in the wrong place. Regarding linting, it looks like
    "cd Doc; make check" works. Or alternatively, to check a single file:
    "python tools/rstlint.py path-to-file.rst".

    --Chris

groupdoc-sig @
categoriespython
postedJul 5, '12 at 7:14p
activeJul 6, '12 at 11:06a
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Chris Jerdonek: 2 posts Ned Deily: 1 post