The procedure for uploading to PyPI is not well documented. I had to read
several different docs and do some experimentation before coming up with the
following:

Procedure for uploading to the Python Package Index (PyPI):

1. Create setup.py file.
2. Create ".pypirc" file if it does not already exist.
3. Launch IPython.
4. Issue the command "run setup register"
5. Issue the command "run setup sdist upload".
6. Log into PyPI and adjust visibility of old versions as necessary.

I'd like to see this list of steps (or something similar) in the docs.

  • Ian Bicking at Mar 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm
    There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for packaging:
    http://guide.python-distribute.org/

    Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org at some point.

    Doc-SIG maillist - Doc-SIG at python.org

    Ian Bicking | http://blog.ianbicking.org | http://twitter.com/ianbicking
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Nick Coghlan at Mar 2, 2010 at 8:49 pm

    Ian Bicking wrote:
    There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
    packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/

    Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
    <http://docs.python.org> at some point.
    Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the main
    docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the brief
    list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)

    Cheers,
    Nick.

  • Ian Bicking at Mar 2, 2010 at 8:54 pm

    There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
    packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/

    Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
    <http://docs.python.org> at some point.
    Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the main
    docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the brief
    list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)
    Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.

    --
    Ian Bicking | http://blog.ianbicking.org | http://twitter.com/ianbicking
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Michael Foord at Mar 2, 2010 at 11:53 pm

    <http://docs.python.org>
    <http://docs.python.org> at some point.
    Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the
    main
    docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the
    brief
    list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)

    Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.
    If we make the change in 2.6-maint then it will be on the main docs when
    2.6 is released. What documentation page should it go on?

    I've added a link to the following page, but don't think that will be
    particularly effective:

    http://python.org/doc/

    Michael
    --
    Ian Bicking | http://blog.ianbicking.org | http://twitter.com/ianbicking

    Doc-SIG maillist - Doc-SIG at python.org

    http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

    READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies (?BOGUS AGREEMENTS?) that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Georg Brandl at Mar 3, 2010 at 7:36 am

    There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
    packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/

    Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
    <http://docs.python.org>
    <http://docs.python.org> at some point.
    Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the
    main
    docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the
    brief
    list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)

    Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.
    If we make the change in 2.6-maint then it will be on the main docs when
    2.6 is released. What documentation page should it go on?

    I've added a link to the following page, but don't think that will be
    particularly effective:

    http://python.org/doc/
    http://docs.python.org/distutils/ comes to mind -- a seealso right before
    the big table of contents?

    Georg
  • Tarek Ziadé at Mar 3, 2010 at 9:10 am

    There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
    packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/

    Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
    <http://docs.python.org> at some point.
    Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the main
    docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the brief
    list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)
    Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.

    If we make the change in 2.6-maint then it will be on the main docs when 2.6
    is released. What documentation page should it go on?

    I've added a link to the following page, but don't think that will be
    particularly effective:

    http://python.org/doc/

    Michael

    Hello,

    I've asked Georg about the best location for the guide in the doc a
    few days ago
    since we planned to include it in docs.python.org during the summit.

    If the HH guide is included before it is finished as we have planned,
    maybe it could be included right now
    as part of the 2.6 maintenance as well.

    So the "See also link" would be an internal link in docs.python.org. I
    am proposing this to avoid
    maintaining guide.python-distribute.org *and* a section in
    docs.python.org once 2.7 is out. This will
    also avoid confusion for the community imho.

    Cheers
    Tarek

    --
    Tarek Ziad? | http://ziade.org
  • Michael Foord at Mar 3, 2010 at 10:34 am

[...]

    See if Georg approves that. If he does I will leave it to you to check
    it into the documentation.

    All the best,

    Michael

    Cheers
    Tarek

    --
    http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

    READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies (?BOGUS AGREEMENTS?) that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

groupdoc-sig @
categoriespython
postedDec 11, '09 at 6:05p
activeMar 3, '10 at 10:34a