Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Python volunteer community, and another member
suggested that helping out with documentation is a great way to get
started.

A bit of background on me: I'm a journalist who recently made the
shift to full-time database work for Congressional Quarterly, a news
organization based in Washington, D.C. I started dabbling with Python
two years ago, and now have the good fortune to use it daily in my
work. Python and its community have helped me enormously, so I
figured it's time to give something back.

I've started reading the style guide for documentation writers, but I
wasn't able to dig up a list of projects or priorities that need
doing. Is there such a list? If not, should we start one on the
doc-sig page of the Python wiki?

http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/doc-sig/

For me, such a list would help focus my efforts on the genuine needs
of the community. And it could help others who'd like to contribute
but are not sure where to begin.

So please let me know what you think about the idea of a priority
list, or better yet, reply back with specific project ideas or needs.

And of course, if such a list already exists, just point me to it.
I'll be happy to help out.

Regards,

Serdar Tumgoren

Search Discussions

  • Ralf Gommers at Oct 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm
    Hi Serdar,
    I'm new to the Python volunteer community, and another member
    suggested that helping out with documentation is a great way to get
    started.

    A bit of background on me: I'm a journalist who recently made the
    shift to full-time database work for Congressional Quarterly, a news
    organization based in Washington, D.C. I started dabbling with Python
    two years ago, and now have the good fortune to use it daily in my
    work. Python and its community have helped me enormously, so I
    figured it's time to give something back.

    I've started reading the style guide for documentation writers, but I
    wasn't able to dig up a list of projects or priorities that need
    doing. Is there such a list? If not, should we start one on the
    doc-sig page of the Python wiki?
    There is no such list as far as I know, but almost any large Python project
    will welcome help with open arms.
    http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/doc-sig/

    For me, such a list would help focus my efforts on the genuine needs
    of the community. And it could help others who'd like to contribute
    but are not sure where to begin.

    So please let me know what you think about the idea of a priority
    list, or better yet, reply back with specific project ideas or needs.
    What you could do is ask on the mailing list of a project you are interested
    in / a user of. For me, I'm a scientist and therefore focused on
    contributing to NumPy and SciPy docs. For you it may be something related to
    databases?

    If you pick something you already enjoy using you will be able to contribute
    most effectively imho.

    Cheers,
    Ralf