This weekend I made a final revision pass over the 2.6 "What's New"
document and am now finished with it (barring any small corrections or
omissions that come in).

What should I do now with my Python doc time? Georg, do you have any
suggestions? I could start reading through one of the manuals from
end-to-end or go through the bug tracker for doc items. Are there any
writing-related tasks you've been meaning to do before 2.6final?

--amk

Search Discussions

  • Ron Adam at Aug 31, 2008 at 7:11 pm

    A.M. Kuchling wrote:
    This weekend I made a final revision pass over the 2.6 "What's New"
    document and am now finished with it (barring any small corrections or
    omissions that come in).

    What should I do now with my Python doc time? Georg, do you have any
    suggestions? I could start reading through one of the manuals from
    end-to-end or go through the bug tracker for doc items. Are there any
    writing-related tasks you've been meaning to do before 2.6final?
    I'm presuming you are referring to content related items, but I fugures it
    doesn't hurt to ask.

    A while back I wrote a patch to enhance pydoc.

    http://bugs.python.org/issue2001

    I figured it would need to wait until 2.7/3.1, is
    there any chance of getting it in before then?

    I probably need to updated it again so it will apply properly as there has
    been other fixes/patches to pydoc.

    Ron
  • Ron Adam at Aug 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm
    The patch is updated for 2.6.

    Doc-SIG maillist - Doc-SIG at python.org
  • Laura Creighton at Aug 31, 2008 at 8:44 pm

    This weekend I made a final revision pass over the 2.6 "What's New"
    document and am now finished with it (barring any small corrections or
    omissions that come in).

    What should I do now with my Python doc time? Georg, do you have any
    suggestions? I could start reading through one of the manuals from
    end-to-end or go through the bug tracker for doc items. Are there any
    writing-related tasks you've been meaning to do before 2.6final?

    --amk
    What is the status of the tutorial?

    Laura
  • Georg Brandl at Aug 31, 2008 at 8:52 pm

    A.M. Kuchling schrieb:
    This weekend I made a final revision pass over the 2.6 "What's New"
    document and am now finished with it (barring any small corrections or
    omissions that come in).

    What should I do now with my Python doc time? Georg, do you have any
    suggestions? I could start reading through one of the manuals from
    end-to-end or go through the bug tracker for doc items. Are there any
    writing-related tasks you've been meaning to do before 2.6final?
    There is one thing I've been putting off for quite a long time :)

    Basically, the builtin types aren't documented well. The
    /library/stdtypes document is too long and not structured in a good
    fashion. Also, signatures for the constructors are documented in
    /library/functions which is not wrong but not satisfying either.
    Also, the type hierarchy in the "data model" section from the lang.
    ref. has overlaps with that section. For example, both document some
    special methods, both document the built-in types, etc.

    I would like to rename the lang. reference to "Core Python language".
    This document would then contain the language spec, ideally enhanced with
    some examples for those not liking having EBNF thrown into their face,
    the "data model" section with all its customization docs, and the content
    on built-in functions and types, all special methods and type methods
    properly documented etc. (e.g. I think some new float methods aren't
    documented yet).

    This is a large task, and I don't want to burden it on you. In my opinion
    it will make the Python documentation structure easier to grasp. I don't
    know how much time you have; I've never found enough of it to start.

    cheers,
    Georg

  • Nick Coghlan at Aug 31, 2008 at 9:10 pm

    Georg Brandl wrote:
    A.M. Kuchling schrieb:
[...]

    Along those lines, I plan to spend my Python time after 2.6/3.0 are out
    on an odf2rest converter for the user reference that's currently sitting
    in the sandbox. Even if we don't end up using that document as-is (it's
    a bit too dated at the moment for that to be a possibility anyway), I
    think it will provide useful input to any large-scale additions
    (particularly those targeting a middle ground between the tutorial and
    the language reference in regards to the language statements and the
    builtins).

    Cheers,
    Nick.

    http://www.boredomandlaziness.org