We're currently distributing 21 different files for the documentation
for a single Python release. This includes 3 compression formats for
the HTML, LaTeX, PDF (2 paper sizes), and PostScript (2 paper sizes)
formats, 2 compression formats for the GNU info, and 1 for the iSilo
format.

I'd like to cut back a little. ;-)

Is there anyone currently relying on the gzipped archives who can't
use the bzip2 archives? (How about the ZIP users? Can they rely on
gzip or bzip2 archives?)

I'd appreciate feedback on this. Thanks!

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation

Search Discussions

  • Paul Moore at Sep 29, 2003 at 3:09 pm

    "Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> writes:

    We're currently distributing 21 different files for the documentation
    for a single Python release. This includes 3 compression formats for
    the HTML, LaTeX, PDF (2 paper sizes), and PostScript (2 paper sizes)
    formats, 2 compression formats for the GNU info, and 1 for the iSilo
    format.

    I'd like to cut back a little. ;-)

    Is there anyone currently relying on the gzipped archives who can't
    use the bzip2 archives? (How about the ZIP users? Can they rely on
    gzip or bzip2 archives?)

    I'd appreciate feedback on this. Thanks!
    One annoying factor is that WinZip doesn't support the bzip2 format. I
    don't know how many (if any) users rely on .tar.gz format archives on
    Windows (I don't!), but as WinZip is fairly commonly used, there may
    be an issue there...

    I think that, as long as you supply *one* of .tar.gz or .zip formats,
    WinZip users will be OK.

    Hope this helps,
    Paul.
    --
    This signature intentionally left blank
  • Fred L. Drake, Jr. at Sep 30, 2003 at 5:08 pm

    Paul Moore writes:
    I think that, as long as you supply *one* of .tar.gz or .zip formats,
    WinZip users will be OK.
    Ok, here's what I'll plan to do:

    I'll send a note to python-dev to see if anyone there has strong
    objections to dropping the .tar.gz format. If that flies, we can ask
    the larger community to chime in on python-list (comp.lang.python). I
    won't have time to read python-list to guage the reaction myself; I'll
    ask that comments be directed here instead.

    -Fred

    --
    Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at acm.org>
    PythonLabs at Zope Corporation
  • Aahz at Sep 29, 2003 at 3:49 pm

    Is there anyone currently relying on the gzipped archives who can't
    use the bzip2 archives? (How about the ZIP users? Can they rely on
    gzip or bzip2 archives?)
    WinZip (one of the standard Windows utilities) supports gzip, but I
    can't find any sign that they support bzip2.
    --
    Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    --Bill Harlan
  • Beni Cherniavsky at Sep 29, 2003 at 4:23 pm

    Is there anyone currently relying on the gzipped archives who can't
    use the bzip2 archives? (How about the ZIP users? Can they rely on
    gzip or bzip2 archives?)
    WinZip (one of the standard Windows utilities) supports gzip, but I
    can't find any sign that they support bzip2.
    For windows, the Free `7-Zip`__ supports them all.

    __ www.7-zip.org

    --
    Beni Cherniavsky <cben@users.sf.net>

    Python - the best programming diet.
  • Aahz at Sep 29, 2003 at 5:19 pm

    Is there anyone currently relying on the gzipped archives who can't
    use the bzip2 archives? (How about the ZIP users? Can they rely on
    gzip or bzip2 archives?)
    WinZip (one of the standard Windows utilities) supports gzip, but I
    can't find any sign that they support bzip2.
    For windows, the Free `7-Zip`__ supports them all.

    __ www.7-zip.org
    While that's a Good Thing, I'm not sure it addresses the issue. Should
    we be in a position where in order to access material on python.org,
    people have to download additional software? I think it's reasonable to
    assume that people have either ZIP or bzip2, but I think that we'll get
    lots of whining if we only make bzip2 available. (I'm already not
    looking forward to the complaints to webmaster if we remove gzip, but
    that's at least manageable.)
    --
    Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    --Bill Harlan
  • Beni Cherniavsky at Oct 2, 2003 at 4:09 pm

    Is there anyone currently relying on the gzipped archives who can't
    use the bzip2 archives? (How about the ZIP users? Can they rely on
    gzip or bzip2 archives?)
    WinZip (one of the standard Windows utilities) supports gzip, but I
    can't find any sign that they support bzip2.
    For windows, the Free `7-Zip`__ supports them all.

    __ www.7-zip.org
    While that's a Good Thing, I'm not sure it addresses the issue. Should
    we be in a position where in order to access material on python.org,
    people have to download additional software? I think it's reasonable to
    assume that people have either ZIP or bzip2, but I think that we'll get
    lots of whining if we only make bzip2 available. (I'm already not
    looking forward to the complaints to webmaster if we remove gzip, but
    that's at least manageable.)
    I agree. I just pointed it out so it can be mentioned on the site
    (better than nothing IMHO). IIRC (I deleted the original message) one
    of the things compressed in too many formats were the info files - at
    least for them, you can safely ignore windows users that don't know to
    handle bzip2 (because they surely won't know what to do with info
    files ;).

    --
    Beni Cherniavsky <cben@users.sf.net>

    Python - the best programming diet.