A few years ago, a Ubutnu dev said: "Ubuntu is committed to providing
a complete Python development environment out of the box. It's a
conscious decision, made without pretense of language neutrality." (I
can probably dig up the name if anyone cares.)

I am not denying it, and if you poke around there is evidence of it,
but maybe it would be good for both Ubuntu and Python if that was
advertised?

I am sure the answer is yes, but have no idea how to implement it,
which seems like there should accompany a suggestion sent to Ubuntu.

--
Carl K

Search Discussions

  • Jason Baker at Nov 11, 2009 at 12:09 am

    A few years ago, a Ubutnu dev said: "Ubuntu is committed to providing
    a complete Python development environment out of the box. It's a
    conscious decision, made without pretense of language neutrality." ?(I
    can probably dig up the name if anyone cares.)

    I am not denying it, and if you poke around there is evidence of it,
    but maybe it would be good for both Ubuntu and Python if that was
    advertised?
    I'm a little bit skeptical about "advertising" it, at least directly.
    We don't want Python to be cubby-holed as a Linux language (or a
    Windows language, or an OS X language). That said, I do think that we
    can take advantage of this if we play our cards right. I think the
    best way to handle this is to think of more ways to push Ubuntu users
    to ask themselves "I already have a great development environment set
    up and I can do all kinds of cool stuff, why not give Python a shot?"

    Perhaps what we need is some more quick guides to making neat stuff
    under ubuntu.
  • Tennessee Leeuwenburg at Nov 11, 2009 at 12:30 am

[...]

    I think that's a fantastic idea. "5 cool things you can do with Python on
    Ubuntu" for example... +1!