The most recent releases for postgresql are available via RSS URL
http://www.postgresql.org/versions.rss. This RSS feed is already very
useful (the link for each entry points to the release notes for that
release of postgresql)

But the description of each item on the RSS feed is simply the text

-- 8< --
MAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE is the latest release in the MAJOR.MINOR series.
-- >8 --

I'd like to propose that the description be extended a little to
include the URL from which to download the source code. Something like
this:

-- 8< --
MAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE is the latest release in the MAJOR.MINOR series.

Grab it from here:
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/vMAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE/postgresql-MAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE.tar.gz
-- >8 --

- Martin -

Search Discussions

  • Magnus Hagander at Oct 7, 2010 at 4:36 pm

[...]

    Why the source, and not binaries? And once we open that can of work,
    there'll be lots of it. I guess we could add a link to
    http://www.postgresql.org/download, but I have a feeling the part
    you're after is not to have to browse but get directly to the correct
    version?
  • Martin Atukunda at Oct 8, 2010 at 7:08 am
    Yes, you are right. I wanted the convenience of getting directly to
    the source of the correct version.

    But on second thought, I don't see why we can't _also_ include the
    link to the generic download page.

    - Martin -

    --
    Magnus Hagander