Web gurus:

OK, the following presskits need to go up at www.postgresql.org/about to be
ready for the release. All press kits are in CVS for the Press project,
with the directory structure pr/releases/8.1/XX/presskit81.html.XX
... where XX is the language code. They all need to end up at
about/press/presskit81.html.XX

AR: Arabic
BR: Brazilian
DE: German
EL: Hebrew
EN: English
FR: French
JA: Japanese
RO: Romanian
RU: Russian

Additional, the following two are done but the version in CVS are broken.
They should be getting corrected in the next couple of days:

ES: Spanish
FI: Finnish

Please let me know if any of the encodings are messed up so that I can bug
the translators. It seems like some are UTF-8 and some are ASCII but I
can't tell for sure, encodings baffle me.

You'll notice that this is less languages than last year. This is because
the release is actually going out on time, and the translators aren't used
to meeting deadlines with no slippage. ;-/

Additionally, the new Regional Contacts page is available here:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/13/contact.html
... and can go up any time.

Finally, the new version of the Press FAQ is also under CVS and at
pgFoundry and needs to go up at the same time the PressKits do:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_faq.html
http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/faq/

Please let me know ASAP if there's going to be an issue with any of this;
on Friday I leave for Germany and will have a lot harder time fixing
things.

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Search Discussions

  • Dave Page at Nov 3, 2005 at 8:13 am
    Magnus/Robert,

    Can one of you pick up this task please? I'm working out some final
    issues with psqlODBC and pgAdmin and the moment and don't know if I'll
    get time.

    Thanks, Dave.
[...]

    ---------------------------(end of
    broadcast)---------------------------
    match
  • Robert Treat at Nov 3, 2005 at 2:13 pm
    I should have some time today, folks can check up on things on my install at
    http://xzilla.postgresql.org/

    speaking of... Josh, do you have an update for
    http://xzilla.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew ?

    I didn't see one in any of the emails but maybe I missed it?

    Robert Treat
[...]

  • Magnus Hagander at Nov 3, 2005 at 9:52 am

    Web gurus:

    OK, the following presskits need to go up at
    www.postgresql.org/about to be
    ready for the release. All press kits are in CVS for the
    Press project,
    with the directory structure pr/releases/8.1/XX/presskit81.html.XX
    ... where XX is the language code. They all need to end up
    at about/press/presskit81.html.XX
    In general, firefox doesn't like <a name="foo"/>, for some reason - it
    doesn't consider it closed. Needs to be <a name="foo"></a>. Without
    doing this, all paragraphs will be underlined when the mouse hovers over
    them...

    Unfortunatly, this seems to go for all languages - as they are copied...

    I also notice there is no header on the page - there was one for 8.0.
    Was that really intentinoal?
    (8.0 had <h1>PostgreSQL 8.0 Press Kit</h1>, 8.1 has only subheaders)
    AR: Arabic
    Not valid XHTML, with *lots* of errors. Check
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ar&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

    BR: Brazilian
    Bad encoding - not valid UTF8. Can't validate.

    DE: German
    Not valid XHTML, with *lots* of errors. Check
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.de&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

    EL: Hebrew
    Same as german, appears to be at least partly the very same errors. See
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.el&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

    In the english list, this one is ilnked from "Greek", that seems wrong.

    EN: English

    Under "Corporate support" there is a "</h3>" at the end of the
    paragraph, but no opening <h3>. Thus, not valid HTML.
    FR: French
    There is no 8.1 file in cvs that I can find.
    JA: Japanese
    Not valid XHTML, but it looks like it could be an encoding issue. See
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ja&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

    RO: Romanian
    Not completed, has things like <link here> still in it in at least four
    places.
    RU: Russian
    Not valid XHTML, and also has <link> stuff still in there. See
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ru&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

    Additional, the following two are done but the version in CVS
    are broken.
    They should be getting corrected in the next couple of days:

    ES: Spanish
    FI: Finnish

    Please let me know if any of the encodings are messed up so
    that I can bug the translators. It seems like some are UTF-8
    and some are ASCII but I can't tell for sure, encodings baffle me.
    Me too ;) But I can tell which are wrong by feeding them through the
    XHTML validator at w3.org.

    They can be converted with "iconv" if you know the source encoding,
    though. But you need to know the source...

    You'll notice that this is less languages than last year.
    This is because the release is actually going out on time,
    and the translators aren't used to meeting deadlines with no
    slippage. ;-/
    There is a list at the bottom of the page that refers to a whole lot of
    languages that don't exist... Such as Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish,
    Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish (may be more, didn't check carefully).

    Additionally, the new Regional Contacts page is available here:
    http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/13/contact.html
    ... and can go up any time.
    Not valid XHTML, see
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//magnus-master.pgadm
    in.org/about/press/contact.html

    The "USA & General" <a> anchor needs to go inside the <dt>.
    & needs to be &amp;

    Finally, the new version of the Press FAQ is also under CVS
    and at pgFoundry and needs to go up at the same time the PressKits do:
    http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_faq.html
    http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/faq/
    Seems to be perfect XHTML :-)

    //Magnus
  • Josh Berkus at Nov 3, 2005 at 5:10 pm
    Magnus,

    TRANSLATORS: PLEASE see Magnus' comments below about bad encodings and
    missing parts of presskits.

    Magnus: the translators can (hopefully) fix the encoding issues.
    However, I don't know that they can fix the XHTML issues. Can the web
    team do this somehow?
    In general, firefox doesn't like <a name="foo"/>, for some reason - it
    doesn't consider it closed. Needs to be <a name="foo"></a>. Without
    doing this, all paragraphs will be underlined when the mouse hovers over
    them...
    I don't recall putting such a thing in. How about a line number?
    I also notice there is no header on the page - there was one for 8.0.
    Was that really intentinoal?
    (8.0 had <h1>PostgreSQL 8.0 Press Kit</h1>, 8.1 has only subheaders)
    Nope, it's because the header was added after the fact last year so I
    didn't have it in my template. :-( We can add it easily enough for
    English, but the others?
[...]

    Actually, it is Greek. I got mixed up.

    FR: French

    There is no 8.1 file in cvs that I can find.
    Eh? CVS error. Will attempt to re-post. Since CVS is giving me fits
    over the FR directory (it doesn't like it for some reason) I may have to
    drop French into the main directory.
    JA: Japanese

    Not valid XHTML, but it looks like it could be an encoding issue. See
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ja&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1
    OK, we'll leave Japanese alone. Usually JPUG posts the release on
    their own site instead of ours anyway.

    RO: Romanian

    Not completed, has things like <link here> still in it in at least four
    places.
    Ah. Drop this one then. I've not heard from the Romanian folks in a week.

    RU: Russian

    Not valid XHTML, and also has <link> stuff still in there. See
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ru&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1
    Me too ;) But I can tell which are wrong by feeding them through the
    XHTML validator at w3.org.
    I don't have the time or the knowledge to fix XHTML problems; that's my
    markup that you're having problems with and it represents the limit of
    my HTML know-how (I *did* post to this list asking for feedback before
    the translations started, but, whatever) Can someone on the web team
    take this over?
    They can be converted with "iconv" if you know the source encoding,
    though. But you need to know the source...
    There is a list at the bottom of the page that refers to a whole lot of
    languages that don't exist... Such as Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish,
    Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish (may be more, didn't check carefully).
    Right. I'm waiting to see which presskits are "OK" before revising that
    list.

    Seems to be perfect XHTML :-)
    Well, at least I got *something* right.

    --Josh
  • Honda Shigehiro at Nov 4, 2005 at 3:02 am
    Hello,

    Not valid XHTML, but it looks like it could be an encoding issue. See
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ja&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1
    OK, we'll leave Japanese alone. Usually JPUG posts the release on
    their own site instead of ours anyway.
    I converted to UTF-8 and commit it into CVS. Could you try again?

    And the URL of JPUG's press-release for 8.1 release are:
    http://www.postgresql.jp/ug/press-release/2005-02.html

    regards,
    --
    Shigehiro Honda
  • Nick Gazaloff at Nov 4, 2005 at 3:04 am

    Josh Berkus wrote:
    RU: Russian

    Not valid XHTML, and also has <link> stuff still in there. See
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
    %2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ru&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
    &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1
    RU is probably fixed now, though I cannot validate the new version.
    Could you renew the one on magnus-master.pgadmin.org?

    --

    Best regards,
    CIO of CSA

    mha@developer:~/pgfoundry/press/pr/releases/8.1/en$ grep -n "<a name"
    presskit81.html.en
    16:<a name="original_release" /><h2>Original Press
    Release</h2> 100:<a
    name="additional_features" /><h2>Additional Features in this
    Release</h2> 142:<a name="quoted_companies" /><h2>Quoted
    Companies</h2> 164:<a name="download" /><h2>Where to Download</h2>
    177:<a name="docs" /><h2>Documentation</h2> 187:<a name="license"
    /><h2>License</h2> 201:<a name="contact" /><h2>Contacts</h2> 215:<a
    name="companies" /><h2>Corporate Support</h2> 228:<a
    name="additional_software" /><h2>Links</h2> 279:<a
    name="translations"
    /><h2>Official Translations of This
    Oh. I was going from examples of how to do an anchor tag.
    I take it
    that it was wrong?
    It is correct per spec. But FireFox renders it badly.

    Oh. Yeah, you'd have to have each translator do it.
    Well, we'll get the headers from some people but not others. Can we
    live without the ones we don't get? Or put them in English?
    Probably better to put it in english on the ones we don't get.

    I don't have the time or the knowledge to fix XHTML
    problems; that's
    my markup that you're having problems with and it
    represents the limit
    of my HTML know-how (I *did* post to this list asking for feedback
    before the translations started, but, whatever) Can someone on the
    web team take this over?

    Not sure - I certainly wouldn't go into doing russian etc
    on my own,
    as I wouldn't know how to actually fix a lot of the things.
    Hmmm. Well, the Russians don't necessarily know any XHTML.
    How can we get out of this?
    I would suggest:
    1) We ask them if they can do it, and if so please fix it.
    2) Those that can't at all, we can try to do, put up for a review, and
    have them approve it.
    3) Those that can do parts of it, we can try to do the rest, and again
    put them up for review.
    4) We don't actually commit anything until the translator in question
    has approved whatever we have on the web at that time.

    Seems reasonable?

    //Magnus
  • Josh Berkus at Nov 3, 2005 at 7:25 pm
    Magnus,
    It is correct per spec. But FireFox renders it badly.
    Well, will it work if I re-render it as ... "></a>? That's something i
    can do by perl script.

    --Josh

    --
    __Aglio Database Solutions_______________
    Josh Berkus Consultant

    Josh Berkus wrote:
    BR: Brazilian
    Brazilian is not a language, and "BR" is Breton.
  • Josh Berkus at Nov 3, 2005 at 11:30 pm
    Peter,
    Brazilian is not a language, and "BR" is Breton.
    Well, darn, we've been using it for a couple of years now. We'll need to
    keep it on this release, fix it next time.

    --
    --Josh

    Josh Berkus
    Aglio Database Solutions