I successfully compiled 6.5.2 on our DEC Alpha running osf4.0b, using

./configure --prefix=OURDIR --disable-locale --without-CXX

It used the alpha_cc template. I did have to use the patch for the
buff_init.c
that fixed the missing __alpha defines.

HOWEVER -- notice that I had to disable the C++ stuff!! I got all kinds of
errors
that LOOKED like wrong code, but it must be a compatability problem. These
were in
the src/interfaces/libpq++ directory, and in particular in the
pgconnection.cc and
pgconnection.h files. Line like

#include <string> -> bombed,

and

extern "C" {
#include "libpq-fe.h"
} -->( this could be bombing in the libpq-fe.h file, i
think).

Anyway, it seems like this is a compiler compatability problem, or it would
not have compiled on other
platforms. Any suggestions for my C++ compiler flags?

MORE IMPORTANTLY: am I missing anything essential by NOT compiling the C++
stuff? I gather
that this stuff is meant to let people interface to the db with c++?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Bob
---------------
Dr. Robert H. Clouser
S4-563, MIT-Lincoln Laboratory
(781) 981-1989
bclouser@ll.mit.edu

Search Discussions

  • Pedro J. Lobo at Oct 29, 1999 at 7:01 pm

    I successfully compiled 6.5.2 on our DEC Alpha running osf4.0b, using

    ./configure --prefix=OURDIR --disable-locale --without-CXX

    It used the alpha_cc template. I did have to use the patch for the
    buff_init.c
    that fixed the missing __alpha defines.
    Good. I think that the patch has already been applied to the 6.5 branch
    and will be in 6.5.3.
    HOWEVER -- notice that I had to disable the C++ stuff!! I got all kinds of
    errors
    that LOOKED like wrong code, but it must be a compatability problem. These
    were in
    the src/interfaces/libpq++ directory, and in particular in the
    pgconnection.cc and
    pgconnection.h files. Line like

    #include <string> -> bombed,
    I ran into this problem a long time ago. I simply disabled the c++ stuff,
    as I don't use it.
    and

    extern "C" {
    #include "libpq-fe.h"
    } -->( this could be bombing in the libpq-fe.h file, i
    think).
    As I see it, it is libpq-fe.h which should have:

    #ifdef __cplusplus
    extern "C" {
    #endif

    in the proper places.
    Anyway, it seems like this is a compiler compatability problem, or it would
    not have compiled on other
    platforms. Any suggestions for my C++ compiler flags?
    It seems that cxx uses .hxx as the suffix for include files, so the
    #includes would have to be #ifdef'ed appropriately. Also, cxx doesn't
    recognize .cc as a c++ suffix, so you'll have to use the flag "-x cxx" or
    it will think that the sources are plain c (which is probably the cause
    of the second error you pointed at).
    MORE IMPORTANTLY: am I missing anything essential by NOT compiling the C++
    stuff? I gather
    Nothing at all.
    that this stuff is meant to let people interface to the db with c++?
    Exactly.

    Regards,

    Pedro.

    Pedro José Lobo Perea Tel: +34 91 336 78 19
    Centro de Cálculo Fax: +34 91 331 92 29
    E.U.I.T. Telecomunicación e-mail: pjlobo@euitt.upm.es
    Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
    Ctra. de Valencia, Km. 7 E-28031 Madrid - España / Spain

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedOct 29, '99 at 1:59p
activeOct 29, '99 at 7:01p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Clouser, Robert: 1 post Pedro J. Lobo: 1 post