Hello,
I'm trying to install postgres on an SGI.
This particular SGI isn't installed well;
I will appreciate any hint on how to locate the problem.

Thanks!

Symptom:
Log of trying to start postmaster attached.
Attempts to run createdb fail.

postgres@callas:~$ echo > pgserver.log

postgres@callas:~$ nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &
[1] 245333

postgres@callas:~$ less pgserver.log
IpcSemaphoreCreate: semctl failed (Bad address) id=5
IpcSemaphoreCreate: semctl failed (Bad address) id=6

postgres@callas:~$ ipcs
IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Wed Oct 6 08:29:37 1999
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
Message Queues:
Shared Memory:
m 7 0x0052e2ca --rw------- postgres postgres
m 8 0x0052e2c1 --rw------- postgres postgres
m 9 0x0052e2c7 --rw------- postgres postgres
Semaphores:
s 5 0x0052e2ce --ra------- postgres postgres
s 6 0x0052e2cf --ra------- postgres postgres

postgres@callas:~$ uname -a
IRIX64 callas 6.5 04151556 IP27

--
Peter Schäfer - mailto:schaefer@cys.de, schaefer@dfu.de

Search Discussions

  • Peter Schaefer at Oct 7, 1999 at 9:46 am
[...]

  • Baier at Oct 8, 1999 at 10:59 am
    Hi Peter

    I have the same problem and I have posted several messages already
    this is apparently caused by using gcc as a compiler.
    Nobody was yet able to tell me how to circumvent the problem
    or where I can get a binary version.

    The psql and perl client works on my Indy but the database is
    no reachable.

    Juergen

    Peter Schaefer wrote:
[...]

    Juergen Baier Phone +41 31 688 87 75
    Network Consultant Internet Fax +41 31 688 84 42
    Swisscom Data/Multimedia (Unisource Business Networks)
    Genfergasse 14
    CH-3030 Bern baier@ip-plus.net
    Switzerland http://www.ip-plus.net

grouppgsql-ports @