Hi pgsql-ports

I have been trying to install postgresql version 6.5.2 on a dual processor Sun E250 running Solaris 2.6 (revision 5/98).

I had quite a few errors when compiling with Suns' own lex and make. I downloaded and installed Bison 1.25, flex 2.5.4a
and gcc 2.8.0. and recompiled. All the errors disappeared and it compiled cleanly with only a few warnings. However,
when I attempt to start postmaster after initialising the database with initdb (initdb ran OK) I get the following
error:

$ postmaster -i
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001, size=1073152, permission=600
FATAL 1: ShmemCreate: cannot create region

I am logged in as superuser postgres and in the postgres home directory with the following environment variables set:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/servers/postgresql/lib
LOGNAME=postgres
PATH=/usr/bin::/servers/postgresql/bin
PGDATA=/servers/postgresql/data
PGLIB=/servers/postgresql/lib
SHELL=/bin/sh
TERM=vt100
TZ=GB
USER=postgres

Could you please give me an idea of where I went wrong and what I can do to fix it?

Best regards

Phil Knowles

System Administrator
Faculty Of Technology