I have had problems with the installation. I describe
below some adjustments I had to make to get the postmaster
and psql running. Eventually I got the regression tests
running, but two tests failed.

In summary, I had multiple problems with installation
procedures until I changed the directory into which the
directory tree gets unzipped.

PostgreSQL version: 6.5.2
Redhat Linux version: 6.0
hardware: Pentium II, 450 MHz

I followed the documentation on your website: specifically,

PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide;
Chapter 5 Installation Procedure.

I had downloaded the .gz file as root previous to beginning
the installation procedure.

I already had Flex 2.5.4 installed.

I created a postgres user, created the default directories
and made postgres the owner of each default directory.

Step 10 calls for the .gz file to be unzipped in the directory

/usr/src/pgsql.

I did this: it created a new subdirectory called postgresql-6.5.2.

Step 11 cannot be followed literally. It calls for a cd
into the following directory:

/usr/src/pgsql/src

The intended directory is one level lower:

/usr/src/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.2/src

When I tried to use this path to the src directory, some things
worked and others did not. I finally solved the problems by
restarting the installation with a different directory. I
unzipped the downloaded files into:

/usr/src

This created a new directory tree with the following root:

/usr/src/postgresql-6.5.2

I then created a symbolic link as follows:

ln -s /usr/src/postgresql-6.5.2 /usr/src/pgsql
From that point forward the installation worked OK, but when
I got to the step of the regression test the following two
tests failed:

float8
geometry

That's it for now.

Jonathan Wilcox
jonathan@menai.com

Search Discussions

  • Jonathan Wilcox at Sep 28, 1999 at 7:48 pm
[...]

    From that point forward the installation worked OK, but when
    I got to the step of the regression test the following two
    tests failed:

    float8
    geometry

    That's it for now.