I've posted RPMs for v6.5.1 at

ftp://postgresql.org/pub/{RPMS,SRPMS}/*.rpm

Please report any problems (or successes!) though things should be
pretty smooth since the build was almost identical to that for v6.5.
Note that a dump/reload is not necessary if you already have v6.5 RPMs
installed. Just shut down your v6.5 server, do an "rpm -Uvh *.rpm",
restart and you're ready to go.

If you are upgrading from an earlier version, do a "pg_dumpall >
file.dumpall" before upgrading, move /var/lib/pgsql aside, upgrade,
and then do a "psql < file.dumpall" after restarting.

- Thomas

--
Thomas Lockhart lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
South Pasadena, California

Search Discussions

  • Thomas Lockhart at Jul 27, 1999 at 4:41 pm

    Tom, do you want something about this as an announcement on the web
    page? If so, is there anything in particular you want it to say?
    Yes, that would be great. I need to write an RPM installation guide,
    and the web page could point to that eventually. In the meantime, how
    about something like:

    RedHat RPMs for v6.5.1 on i386 machines are now available at
    ftp://postgresql.org/pub/RPMS/
    Please report any questions or problems to
    mailto:pgsql-ports@postgresql.org

    Note that a dump/reload is not necessary if you already have v6.5
    RPMs
    installed. Just
    o shut down your v6.5 server
    o do an "rpm -Uvh *.rpm"
    o restart and you're ready to go.

    If you are upgrading from an earlier version, do the following:
    o before upgrading, do a "pg_dumpall > file.dumpall"
    o move /var/lib/pgsql aside (e.g. rename to /var/lib/pgsql-6.4.2)
    o upgrade or install the RPMs using "rpm -Uvh *.rpm"
    o run initdb, setting PGDATA appropriately
    o restart the new backend server
    o do a "psql < file.dumpall"

    --
    Thomas Lockhart lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
    South Pasadena, California
  • Lamar Owen at Jul 27, 1999 at 5:37 pm

    Thomas Lockhart wrote:
    Tom, do you want something about this as an announcement on the web
    page? If so, is there anything in particular you want it to say?
    Yes, that would be great. I need to write an RPM installation guide,
    and the web page could point to that eventually. In the meantime, how
    about something like:
    Look at http://www.ramifordistat.net/postgres/rpm_upgrade.html and
    rpm_install.html for an example.

    Have you been getting e-mail from me the last week or so, Thomas?? Not
    to try to duplicate effort or anything, but I have already gone to the
    effort of writing these small guides. I am still working on the
    upgrading, and am close to a release of an "rpm -U"able RPM set. Let me
    know what you want me to do, and I'll do it. I have apparently had some
    e-mail problems, as it seems some of my mail to you in the last week or
    so has not gone through. If you would prefer to advize me privately, by
    all means do so.

    Lamar Owen
    WGCR Internet Radio

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 27, '99 at 2:47p
activeJul 27, '99 at 5:37p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Thomas Lockhart: 2 posts Lamar Owen: 1 post