Hello,

I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation library.

PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2 give me
problems on initdb. Postgres backend spits out this message:

ERROR: fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

Anybody has any idea of why this happens?

BTW, since the Amiga Developer environment that I used emulates the normal
Unix enviroment, would the PostgreSQL developers be interested that
integrated any Amiga specific templates and ported code to make the main
distribuition of PostgreSQL build out of the box on the Amiga OS too?

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
PGP key: finger://mlemos@zeus.ci.ua.pt

Manuel Lemos

E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
PGP key: finger://mlemos@zeus.ci.ua.pt

  • The Hermit Hacker at Feb 28, 1999 at 7:26 am
    I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation library.

    PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2 give me
    problems on initdb. Postgres backend spits out this message:

    ERROR: fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

    Anybody has any idea of why this happens?

    BTW, since the Amiga Developer environment that I used emulates the normal
    Unix enviroment, would the PostgreSQL developers be interested that
    integrated any Amiga specific templates and ported code to make the main
    distribuition of PostgreSQL build out of the box on the Amiga OS too?
    Definitely...please send patches in to pgsql-patches@postgresql.org with
    what is required, but plesae make sure that any patches are against the
    current source tree, not v6.4.2...

    Marc G. Fournier
    Systems Administrator @ hub.org
    primary: scrappy@hub.org secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
  • Manuel Lemos at Feb 28, 1999 at 6:04 pm
    Hello The,
    I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation library.

    PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2 give me
    problems on initdb. Postgres backend spits out this message:

    ERROR: fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

    Anybody has any idea of why this happens?

    BTW, since the Amiga Developer environment that I used emulates the normal
    Unix enviroment, would the PostgreSQL developers be interested that
    integrated any Amiga specific templates and ported code to make the main
    distribuition of PostgreSQL build out of the box on the Amiga OS too?
    Definitely...please send patches in to pgsql-patches@postgresql.org with
    what is required, but plesae make sure that any patches are against the
    current source tree, not v6.4.2...
    Ok, but to work on the current source tree wouldn't it be better to get me
    a CVS write account so I can work in the absolutely latest version? Don't
    worry I have plenty of experience to deal CVS issues. I have all my
    current projects in CVS repositories and a few of them are shared by other
    people on the Internet. If you still don't feel it is safe I could always
    set a separate branch to integrate my changes before anybody commits into
    the main branch.

    Anyway, I still would like to make sure that the backend works without the
    cache lookup problems mentioned above. Do you know if that was fixed in
    the current source tree?

    --
  • The Hermit Hacker at Feb 28, 1999 at 6:45 pm
[...]

    Access to the CVS repository is limited, with the only ones that have
    received it in the past being those that have worked with us for ages now,
    and have proven themselves in so far as the patches they have submitted.

    There is access to the current source tree available via snapshot's
    created nightly, CVSup as well as anon-CVS ... all documented on the web
    site...

    Marc G. Fournier
    Systems Administrator @ hub.org
    primary: scrappy@hub.org secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
  • Manuel Lemos at Feb 28, 1999 at 7:44 pm
    Hello Marc,
[...]

    I'm sorry I didn't mean to push myself in. After all you've just met me so
    you don'y know if you can trust me to not damage the source tree. It's ok,
    I understand. I would probably be reserved as you are in this circumstance.

    BTW, congratulations for you dedication to the development of a capable
    Open Source RDBMS.

    There is access to the current source tree available via snapshot's
    created nightly, CVSup as well as anon-CVS ... all documented on the web
    site...
    Ok, I am downloading it now, so I can send you the patches with cvs diff -c
    I presume.

    I am trying to figure from cvs log if the problem referred above has been
    fixed but I could not determine that because the log of changes since
    1999-01-02 doesn't seem to mention any fixes for that explicitly.

    I noticed that users of other platforms seem to have a similar problem.
    Can you please tell if any progress was done regarding the mentioned
    problem?

    Regards,
    Manuel Lemos

    E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
    PGP key: finger://mlemos@zeus.ci.ua.pt
    --
  • Thomas G. Lockhart at Mar 3, 1999 at 2:52 am

    I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation
    library.
    As scrappy sez, we are always interested in having solid support for a
    new platform. Is the Unix emulation library available for others
    building on an Amiga platform?
    PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2
    (have) problems on initdb.
    I noticed that users of other platforms seem to have a similar
    problem. Can you please tell if any progress was done regarding the
    mentioned problem?
    The problem is on your machine. I recall that sometimes it is due to
    older executables in the execution path; be sure to wipe all older
    versions (or at least wipe all paths to them) before trying initdb.

    Good luck.

    - Tom
  • Manuel Lemos at Mar 5, 1999 at 12:03 am
    Hello Thomas,
    I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation
    library.
    As scrappy sez, we are always interested in having solid support for a
    new platform. Is the Unix emulation library available for others
    building on an Amiga platform?
    Yes, it's kind of Open Source. If I am not mistaken there is a version of
    ixemul for BeOS too. A lot of Unix programs have been ported to Amiga and
    BeOS with it, including PostgreSQL 6.1.

    PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2
    (have) problems on initdb.
    I noticed that users of other platforms seem to have a similar
    problem. Can you please tell if any progress was done regarding the
    mentioned problem?
    The problem is on your machine. I recall that sometimes it is due to
    older executables in the execution path; be sure to wipe all older
    versions (or at least wipe all paths to them) before trying initdb.
    Well I tried that but it didn't work. But what exactlt could be causing
    that cache access failed error? If I am not mistaken this is not the first
    platform it appears on. What exactly does it mean? Maybe I messed with
    something in the ported files, but I need more information to try to
    determine what happened.

    Regards,
    Manuel Lemos

    E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
    PGP key: finger://mlemos@zeus.ci.ua.pt
    --
  • Thomas G. Lockhart at Mar 5, 1999 at 6:45 am

    Well I tried that but it didn't work. But what exactlt could be
    causing that cache access failed error? If I am not mistaken this is
    not the first platform it appears on.
    ?? It does not appear normally on any supported platform.
    What exactly does it mean? Maybe I messed with
    something in the ported files, but I need more information to try to
    determine what happened.
    And so do I. Perhaps someone else will have some insight into this,
    otherwise you will have to inspect your build process more closely to
    identify any build errors, and then if that shows nothing then you will
    have to isolate the fault. We don't have your machine, and I've never
    seen your problem on my machine :(

    - Tom

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql