Dear sir/madam,

This is to inform you that I am an oracle database user/administrator. But I am going to join in a company where I have to administrate postgresql database. I am new to this database system.  For few days I am trying to install postgresql-8.3.1 in RHEL4. My machine configuration is Intel Pentium IV. I have followed the installation document of postgresql that was included with source distribution.

I am facing the problem during the building step of source. The problem is that when I start building with gmake command, it continuously shows messages in console like ‘checking for …………. yes / no’ and I have waited approximately for 3 hours but it continues.  At last I have cancelled the building process.

Please give me your appropriate and valuable solution in this regard. I am eagerly looking forward for your quick reply.

Thanks in advance:
---------------------------
Hopeless
Shohorab

  • Devrim GÃNDÃZ at May 15, 2008 at 4:31 pm
    Hi,
    For few days I am trying to install postgresql-8.3.1 in RHEL4. My
    machine configuration is Intel Pentium IV. I have followed the
    installation document of postgresql that was included with source
    distribution.

    I am facing the problem during the building step of source. The
    problem is that when I start building with gmake command, it
    continuously shows messages in console like ‘checking for …………. yes /
    no’ and I have waited approximately for 3 hours but it continues. At
    last I have cancelled the building process.
    You may want to install prebuilt RPMs. First install this package:

    http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/reporpms/8.3/pgdg-redhat-8.3-4.noarch.rpm

    and then install PostgreSQL with yum:

    yum install postgresql-server

    Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE
  • Shohorab hossain at May 16, 2008 at 1:49 am
    Problem is solved.
    Problem was in my system clock setting.
    Make get into a loop like this when the source files all appeared to have timestamps in the future.

    Thank you all very much.

    With regards:
    Shohorab Hossain