Hi all!

I downloaded 8.3.1 and ./configure and gmake went smoothly during the
installation process. But when I ran gmake install, I had these
errors:

**********
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/root/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils'
AWK='' /bin/sh Gen_fmgrtab.sh ../../../src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h
Gen_fmgrtab.sh: line 84: $5 == "12" { print }: command not found
Gen_fmgrtab.sh: line 142:
BEGIN { OFS = ""; }
{ if (seenit[$(NF-3)]++ == 0) print "#define F_", $(NF-3), "
", $1; }: command not found
Gen_fmgrtab.sh failed
gmake[3]: *** [fmgroids.h] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/root/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils'
gmake[2]: *** [utils/fmgroids.h] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/root/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend'
gmake[1]: *** [install] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/root/postgresql-8.3.1/src'
gmake: *** [install] Error 2

***********
and gmake stopped. Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this?

I'm running a recently installed Slackware Linux 12.0 on a linux-only box.

Nathan Garlington

Search Discussions

  • Peter Eisentraut at May 2, 2008 at 2:07 pm

    I downloaded 8.3.1 and ./configure and gmake went smoothly during the
    installation process. But when I ran gmake install, I had these
    errors:

    **********
    gmake[3]: Entering directory `/root/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils'
    AWK='' /bin/sh Gen_fmgrtab.sh ../../../src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h
    Gen_fmgrtab.sh: line 84: $5 == "12" { print }: command not found
    Install awk?
  • Nathan Garlington at May 2, 2008 at 2:55 pm
    Peter,

    Thanks for the promdt reply. I installed awk as per your suggestion,
    and verified it's installation from the command line. But I am still
    getting the exact same error shown below. Any other ideas?
    I downloaded 8.3.1 and ./configure and gmake went smoothly during the
    installation process. But when I ran gmake install, I had these
    errors:

    **********
    gmake[3]: Entering directory `/root/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils'
    AWK='' /bin/sh Gen_fmgrtab.sh ../../../src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h
    Gen_fmgrtab.sh: line 84: $5 == "12" { print }: command not found
    Install awk?

    Nathan Garlington
  • Peter Eisentraut at May 2, 2008 at 3:21 pm

    Thanks for the promdt reply. I installed awk as per your suggestion,
    and verified it's installation from the command line. But I am still
    getting the exact same error shown below. Any other ideas?
    make distclean and rerun configure.
  • Nathan Garlington at May 2, 2008 at 4:57 pm
    That did it! Thanks for the help.
    Now, I'm trying to setup the data cluster, so I use:

    initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

    as the postgres user but the shell tells me that the 'initdb' does not exist.

    I rebooted the computer and tried it again, but still won't work.

    ??

    Thanks for the promdt reply. I installed awk as per your suggestion,
    and verified it's installation from the command line. But I am still
    getting the exact same error shown below. Any other ideas?
    make distclean and rerun configure.

    Nathan Garlington

    Nathan Garlington
  • Tom Lane at May 2, 2008 at 4:59 pm

    "Nathan Garlington" <garlinto@gmail.com> writes:
    Now, I'm trying to setup the data cluster, so I use:
    initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
    as the postgres user but the shell tells me that the 'initdb' does not exist.
    Either you forgot the "make install" step, or it installed the programs
    into someplace that isn't in your $PATH.

    regards, tom lane
  • Nathan Garlington at May 2, 2008 at 5:16 pm
    well, after I unzipped and untarred the source,

    I changed dir into the postgres-8.3.1 dir and executed:

    $: ./configure

    when complete, did

    $: gmake

    which took a while, and then did

    $: gmake install

    I did all of this as per the instructions in the pgsql manual for ver.
    8.3.1. When the install completed, I was told the postgres was
    successfully installed on my system

    But if there is a problem with $PATH environment var, it looks like
    there are some other instructions I can follow. I will try those in
    the meantime.
    Now, I'm trying to setup the data cluster, so I use:
    initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
    as the postgres user but the shell tells me that the 'initdb' does not exist.
    Either you forgot the "make install" step, or it installed the programs
    into someplace that isn't in your $PATH.

    regards, tom lane

    Nathan Garlington
  • Nathan Garlington at May 2, 2008 at 7:23 pm
    No need, I got it to run! I followed the directions in the manual on
    how to set the environment variables correctly, and after I did that,
    presto!

    Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my problem!

    Nathan Garlington

    Now, I'm trying to setup the data cluster, so I use:

    initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

    as the postgres user but the shell tells me that the 'initdb' does not
    exist.

    I rebooted the computer and tried it again, but still won't work.
    Please write to an appropriate mailing list for user support.

    Nathan Garlington

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedMay 2, '08 at 1:50p