I'd like to make a suggestion for a change to the windows installation
for Postgres if permissable... not sure if this is the right list to be
posting to.

Suggestion as follows:

Have the install update the PATH environment variable to include the
Postgres BIN directory to enable things to be run from commandline (such
as psql) without having to switch into that directory.

Regards,
Paul.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

Search Discussions

  • Magnus Hagander at Feb 12, 2007 at 8:57 am

    I'd like to make a suggestion for a change to the windows installation
    for Postgres if permissable... not sure if this is the right list to be
    posting to.

    Suggestion as follows:

    Have the install update the PATH environment variable to include the
    Postgres BIN directory to enable things to be run from commandline (such
    as psql) without having to switch into that directory.
    We've talked about this before, and rejected it. The reason is that it
    breaks when you have more than one version installed on the same system.

    We've considered adding a checkbox (off by default) to the installation
    that would set it, though, but the demand just hasn't been there yet ;-)

    Does it not help to just use the "Command Prompt" shortcut on the
    PostgreSQL menu in the start menu?

    //Magnus
  • Paul Lambert at Feb 12, 2007 at 9:35 am

    Magnus Hagander wrote:
    I'd like to make a suggestion for a change to the windows installation
    for Postgres if permissable... not sure if this is the right list to be
    posting to.

    Suggestion as follows:

    Have the install update the PATH environment variable to include the
    Postgres BIN directory to enable things to be run from commandline (such
    as psql) without having to switch into that directory.
    We've talked about this before, and rejected it. The reason is that it
    breaks when you have more than one version installed on the same system.

    We've considered adding a checkbox (off by default) to the installation
    that would set it, though, but the demand just hasn't been there yet ;-)

    Does it not help to just use the "Command Prompt" shortcut on the
    PostgreSQL menu in the start menu?

    //Magnus

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
    I'm setting up some batch jobs that perform various tasks, some of which
    will involve psql. I've manually adjusted the path variable on my server
    in this instance, however I can see that multiple versions may result in
    some undesired behavior.

    A checkbox would work, providing it removes the pre-existing
    installations reference in the path variable... otherwise you could be
    unknowingly running the wrong version of programs and seeing unexpected
    results.

    Apparently this fact didn't cross my mind when I decided to make the
    suggestion ;)

    I blame my ignorance on years of using M$ SQL server.

    --
    Paul Lambert
    Database Administrator

[...]

    That is the problem - how to find and identify that one, and how to be
    sure that it was something added by the installer and not by the user
    himself. So far we've just taken the easy way out and said the user has
    to deal with it.
    Apparently this fact didn't cross my mind when I decided to make the
    suggestion ;)

    I blame my ignorance on years of using M$ SQL server.
    Yeah, they don't support multiple versions on the same machine :-) Lack
    of features makes some thigns easier :-)

    //Magnus
  • Paul Lambert at Feb 12, 2007 at 10:08 am

    Magnus Hagander wrote:
[...]

    Logical way out I'd say.
    Apparently this fact didn't cross my mind when I decided to make the
    suggestion ;)

    I blame my ignorance on years of using M$ SQL server.
    Yeah, they don't support multiple versions on the same machine :-) Lack
    of features makes some thigns easier :-)
    Easier - perhaps, more frustrating - definitely.
    //Magnus
    Cheers for the info.

    P.

    --
    Paul Lambert
    Database Administrator

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 12, '07 at 3:14a
activeFeb 12, '07 at 10:08a
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Paul Lambert: 3 posts Magnus Hagander: 2 posts