Hello All,

We have a project which is built on postgresql and freeradius on debian system. I
have installed postgresql-8.1 on the Debian system, and lately freeradius-1.1.0
also. Things seems ok, but when we started to test, we found that the postgresql
module of freeradius is missing in the debian distribution!

After desperately checking, we were told that debian doesn't distribute the binary
module of freeradius for postgresql because of the incompatible license of these two
apps! However we can build the debian pkg from the source ourself if we need. So
we did it. But this problem: we got so many...so many warnings during the process
of building the debian packages, tons of the warnings! So although we have the
packages now, we don't know if we can use them with so many so many warnings??!

I want to post some of the warnings here for your advice. Please tell me with such
kind of warnings, will the built packages still usable??

Further more, I am afraid it is because our system is not purly dev system, so that
we got those warnings... so, if any one of you could possibly help us to get a
v1.1.0 postgresql module of freeradius, I would be so much grateful!! Or, if you can
help us to get the newest v1.1.1 freeradius package set fro debian (include the
postgresql module), that will be great also! I deeply hope to get help from you...

We specifically need this module bacause the codes in postgresql to work with
freeradius have been built, can't imagine all work will be trashed...:(

Please see the warning samples:

radius.c: In function 'make_secret':
radius.c:167: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'librad_MD5Update'
differ in signedness
radius.c: In function 'make_passwd':
radius.c:205: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'librad_MD5Update'
differ in signedness
radius.c: In function 'make_tunnel_passwd':
radius.c:294: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'librad_MD5Update'
differ in signedness

rlm_passwd.c: In function 'build_hash_table':
rlm_passwd.c:218: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'hash' differ in
signedness
rlm_passwd.c:232: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'hash' differ in
signedness
rlm_passwd.c: In function 'get_pw_nam':
rlm_passwd.c:299: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'hash' differ in
signedness
rlm_passwd.c: In function 'passwd_authorize':
rlm_passwd.c:536: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c: In function 'cisco_vsa_hack':
rlm_preprocess.c:126: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'__builtin_strchr' differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c:144: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c: In function 'rad_mangle':
rlm_preprocess.c:203: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'__builtin_strchr' differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c:206: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strcpy'
differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c: In function 'huntgroup_access':
rlm_preprocess.c:375: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strNcpy'
differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c:376: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen'
differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c: In function 'add_nas_attr':
rlm_preprocess.c:404: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'ip_hostname' differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c:425: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'ip_hostname' differ in signedness
rlm_radutmp.c: In function 'radutmp_checksimul':
rlm_radutmp.c:658: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
rlm_realm.c: In function 'check_for_realm':
rlm_realm.c:209: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strcpy' differ
in signedness
rlm_sql.c: In function 'sql_groupcmp':
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen' differ in
signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of '__builtin_strcmp'
differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of '__builtin_strcmp'
differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen' differ in
signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of '__builtin_strcmp'
differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of '__builtin_strcmp'
differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c: In function 'rlm_sql_authorize':
rlm_sql.c:824: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c: In function 'rlm_sql_checksimul':
rlm_sql.c:1227: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness

Please advise me if these warnings are serious?? Are the packages produced with
such warning still usable??

Thank you very much for any help and suggestion!!

Regrads,
leo

http://mail.yahoo.com

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Apr 6, 2006 at 7:30 pm

    lmyho writes:
    we did it. But this problem: we got so many...so many warnings during the process
    of building the debian packages, tons of the warnings!
    You can probably ignore all the "differ in signedness" warnings, those
    are just the compiler being anal about "char" vs "unsigned char".

    regards, tom lane
  • Lmyho at Apr 6, 2006 at 8:33 pm

    --- Tom Lane wrote:

    lmyho <lm_yho@yahoo.com> writes:
    we did it. But this problem: we got so many...so many warnings during the process
    of building the debian packages, tons of the warnings!
    You can probably ignore all the "differ in signedness" warnings, those
    are just the compiler being anal about "char" vs "unsigned char".
    Thank you so much Tom! So we can safely ignore all of this kind of "differ"
    warnings! Thank you!

    Can we also safely ignore the followings (just types, there are so...o many!):

    Such as:
    cc1: warning: command line option "-fno-rtti" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C

    And:
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_init_socket’:
    sql_postgresql.c:151: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target
    type
    sql_postgresql.c:153: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target
    type
    sql_postgresql.c:157: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target
    type
    sql_postgresql.c:159: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target
    type
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_store_result’:
    sql_postgresql.c:271: warning: unused parameter ‘config’
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_destroy_socket’:
    sql_postgresql.c:287: warning: unused parameter ‘config’
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_num_fields’:
    sql_postgresql.c:302: warning: unused parameter ‘config’
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_fetch_row’:
    sql_postgresql.c:324: warning: unused parameter ‘config’
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_free_result’:
    sql_postgresql.c:367: warning: unused parameter ‘config’
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_error’:
    sql_postgresql.c:395: warning: unused parameter ‘config’
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_close’:
    sql_postgresql.c:411: warning: unused parameter ‘config’
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘sql_affected_rows’:
    sql_postgresql.c:458: warning: unused parameter ‘config’
    sql_postgresql.c: In function ‘not_implemented’:
    sql_postgresql.c:466: warning: unused parameter ‘sqlsocket’
    sql_postgresql.c:466: warning: unused parameter ‘config’

    Do these matter?

    And:
    print.c: In function 'vp_prints_value':
    print.c:198: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

    radrelay.c: In function 'main':
    radrelay.c:871: warning: passing argument 1 of 'free' discards qualifiers from
    pointer target type

    And what does these mean?:
    libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib/freeradius'
    libtool: install: warning: relinking `rlm_acct_unique.la'
    libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib/freeradius'
    libtool: install: warning: relinking `rlm_always.la'
    libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib/freeradius'

    When building the pkg, the pdpkg-buildpackage installed the libraries in the dir
    where I built the pkgs, such as:
    /home/storm/received/freeradius-1.1.1/debian/freeradius/usr/lib/freeradius

    And says:
    If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
    in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
    specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
    flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
    - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
    during execution
    - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
    during linking
    - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
    - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

    What should I do about these libs?? What they have something to do with the libs of
    Debian system?

    Thank you for your advice!!

    Best regards,
    leo

    http://mail.yahoo.com
  • Tom Lane at Apr 6, 2006 at 8:41 pm

    lmyho writes:
    Can we also safely ignore the followings (just types, there are so...o many!):
    I think you can ignore all that stuff, particularly if the built
    libraries seem to work for you ...

    regards, tom lane
  • Lmyho at Apr 6, 2006 at 9:01 pm

    --- Tom Lane wrote:

    lmyho <lm_yho@yahoo.com> writes:
    Can we also safely ignore the followings (just types, there are so...o many!):
    I think you can ignore all that stuff, particularly if the built
    libraries seem to work for you ...
    Thank you! I will have "dpkg -i" them to try now. Hope things are fine! It really
    makes me surprised as it seems made a whole set of freeradius system under the local
    dir where the pkgs were built! - I am still confussing... just have to try.

    Will ask for help if I get trouble on the way...

    Thanks!!

    http://mail.yahoo.com
  • Lmyho at Apr 6, 2006 at 10:03 pm
    Hi Tom,

    The "created" pkgs were installed, thus far it looks Ok.:) Thanks for giving me the
    advice and confidence! Will test, and wish no trouble on th eway...

    Regards,
    Leo
    Can we also safely ignore the followings (just types, there are so...o many!):
    I think you can ignore all that stuff, particularly if the built
    libraries seem to work for you ...

    regards, tom lane

    http://mail.yahoo.com

grouppgsql-ports @