Hi PostgreSQL porters!

I recently noticed that the PostgreSQL test suite fails on arm in the
'point' test (diff pasted below). However, the difference is really
small and is well within the rounding error range. It just seems that
the expected output has one digit less than the actual result.

Is this a mere bug in the test suite? Any idea why it just occurs on
the arm platform? It works fine on all other 11 platforms of Debian.

Please see [1] for the full build log which includes the test suite
output. This is the log for 8.1.1, but the same occurs with 7.4 and
8.0.

Thanks in advance for any hint,

Martin

*** ./expected/point.out Thu Apr 7 01:51:40 2005
--- ./results/point.out Mon Dec 12 20:51:59 2005
***************
*** 101,107 ****
(-3,4) | 5
(-10,0) | 10
(-5,-12) | 13
! | (10,10) | 14.142135623731
(5.1,34.5) | 34.8749193547455
(6 rows)

--- 101,107 ----
(-3,4) | 5
(-10,0) | 10
(-5,-12) | 13
! | (10,10) | 14.1421356237309
(5.1,34.5) | 34.8749193547455
(6 rows)

***************
*** 127,134 ****
(-5,-12) | (-10,0) | 13
(-5,-12) | (0,0) | 13
(0,0) | (-5,-12) | 13
! | (0,0) | (10,10) | 14.142135623731
! | (10,10) | (0,0) | 14.142135623731
(-3,4) | (10,10) | 14.3178210632764
(10,10) | (-3,4) | 14.3178210632764
(-5,-12) | (-3,4) | 16.1245154965971
--- 127,134 ----
(-5,-12) | (-10,0) | 13
(-5,-12) | (0,0) | 13
(0,0) | (-5,-12) | 13
! | (0,0) | (10,10) | 14.1421356237309
! | (10,10) | (0,0) | 14.1421356237309
(-3,4) | (10,10) | 14.3178210632764
(10,10) | (-3,4) | 14.3178210632764
(-5,-12) | (-3,4) | 16.1245154965971
***************
*** 198,204 ****
(-10,0) | (0,0) | 10
(-10,0) | (-5,-12) | 13
(-5,-12) | (0,0) | 13
! | (0,0) | (10,10) | 14.142135623731
(-3,4) | (10,10) | 14.3178210632764
(-5,-12) | (-3,4) | 16.1245154965971
(-10,0) | (10,10) | 22.3606797749979
--- 198,204 ----
(-10,0) | (0,0) | 10
(-10,0) | (-5,-12) | 13
(-5,-12) | (0,0) | 13
! | (0,0) | (10,10) | 14.1421356237309
(-3,4) | (10,10) | 14.3178210632764
(-5,-12) | (-3,4) | 16.1245154965971
(-10,0) | (10,10) | 22.3606797749979
[1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=postgresql-8.1&ver=8.1.1-1&arch=arm&stamp=1134423129&file=log&as=raw
--
Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Dec 20, 2005 at 4:29 pm

    Martin Pitt writes:
    I recently noticed that the PostgreSQL test suite fails on arm in the
    'point' test (diff pasted below). However, the difference is really
    small and is well within the rounding error range. It just seems that
    the expected output has one digit less than the actual result.
    Is this a mere bug in the test suite? Any idea why it just occurs on
    the arm platform? It works fine on all other 11 platforms of Debian.
    Floating point math a bit different on the ARM? The quoted result is
    basically sqrt(200::float8), and we've never before heard reports of
    different platforms printing different answers, though I suppose it's
    possible if the FP hardware is not IEEE-spec. I'd suggest asking
    whoever maintains libm for Debian.

    regards, tom lane
  • Martin Pitt at Dec 20, 2005 at 4:45 pm
    Hi Tom!

    Tom Lane [2005-12-20 11:29 -0500]:
    I recently noticed that the PostgreSQL test suite fails on arm in the
    'point' test (diff pasted below). However, the difference is really
    small and is well within the rounding error range. It just seems that
    the expected output has one digit less than the actual result.
    Is this a mere bug in the test suite? Any idea why it just occurs on
    the arm platform? It works fine on all other 11 platforms of Debian.
    Floating point math a bit different on the ARM? The quoted result is
    basically sqrt(200::float8), and we've never before heard reports of
    different platforms printing different answers, though I suppose it's
    possible if the FP hardware is not IEEE-spec. I'd suggest asking
    whoever maintains libm for Debian.
    I will do that. I just wondered why the expected and actual result are
    actually the same number, but differ only in the presented precision.

    Thanks,

    Martin

    --
    Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
    Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com
    Debian Developer http://www.debian.org

    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Jim C. Nasby at Dec 20, 2005 at 9:37 pm

    I recently noticed that the PostgreSQL test suite fails on arm in the
    <snip>
    I will do that. I just wondered why the expected and actual result are
    actually the same number, but differ only in the presented precision.
    You should consider setting that machine up in the buildfarm as well (I
    don't see any arm machines in there right now):
    http://pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
    --
    Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant jnasby@pervasive.com
  • Martin Pitt at Dec 21, 2005 at 7:26 am

    Jim C. Nasby [2005-12-20 15:37 -0600]: