Good day

I am currently working on a huge project, where the recommended database
is Postgresql. Unfortunately I just can't get it working on aix, and I
need some help please. I tried both v 8.1.0 and 8.0.4, but I keep on
hitting the same problem.

The gmake step succeeds by ending with "All of PostgreSQL successfully
made. Ready to install". However, gmake check fails with "initdb failed"
when it tries to initialize the database.

The log message at .src/test/regress/log ends with "child process was
terminated by signal 11".

We are using a 64bit IBM model p550 with aix 5.2 ML-07, with the IBM
linux toolkit for bison, flex, gcc, python etc.

Can anyone perhaps please help me ?

Thanks a lot,
Herman Gildenhuys
AIX storage administrator
SA Post Office, Church Street 7, Pta, South Africa
Herman.Gildenhuys@postoffice.co.za
Tel +27 (12) 339 9676 or +27 (82) 960 9948

"All factual and other information within this e-mail including any attachments, relating to the
official business of South African Post Office Ltd., or of any subsidiary, is the property of
the S.A. Post Office. It is confidential and legally protected against any unauthorised use.
The South African Post Office neither owns nor endorses any information which does not relate to
its official business. This would include personal mail and/or opinions by senders who may or may
not be employed by the South African Post Office.

The person addressed in the e-mail is the intended recipient.Please notify the sender immediately if
it has unintentionally reached another recipient. Such recipient must not read,disclose or use the
content in any way whatsoever.

The South African Post Office cannot ensure that this e-mail is free of errors, viruses, interception
or interference and will not be held liable for any personal mail and/or opinions expressed herein."

Search Discussions

  • Seneca Cunningham at Nov 18, 2005 at 8:39 pm

    Herman Gildenhuys wrote:
    The gmake step succeeds by ending with "All of PostgreSQL successfully
    made. Ready to install". However, gmake check fails with "initdb failed"
    when it tries to initialize the database.

    The log message at .src/test/regress/log ends with "child process was
    terminated by signal 11".
    You may want to look into the ipcs and ipcrm commands if you haven't
    already. When the child processes segfaulted, they had likely grabbed
    some shared memory that hasn't yet been freed. AIX with all its memory
    locked up as shared memory due to too many processes not cleaning up
    after themselves is not fun.
    We are using a 64bit IBM model p550 with aix 5.2 ML-07, with the IBM
    linux toolkit for bison, flex, gcc, python etc.
    Try building postgres without readline (pass configure
    "--without-readline"). libreadline.a exports more symbols than it
    should, which has been causing problems with AIX 5.3.

    --
    Seneca Cunningham
    scunning@ca.afilias.info

grouppgsql-ports @