My computer crashed, and when I try to start the
PostgreSQL service I get this message:

"The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.0 service on Local
Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop
automatically if they have no work to do, for example,
the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I looked in PG's logs and there's nothing - the last
log is from Sep. 30 (and it doesn't contain anything
of note). Any idea what the problem is and how to get
PG running again?

PG 8.x
Windows XP Pro

Thanks,
CSN

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Search Discussions

  • Magnus Hagander at Oct 2, 2005 at 8:30 pm

    My computer crashed, and when I try to start the PostgreSQL
    service I get this message:

    "The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.0 service on Local Computer
    started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if
    they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs
    and Alerts service."

    I looked in PG's logs and there's nothing - the last log is
    from Sep. 30 (and it doesn't contain anything of note). Any
    idea what the problem is and how to get PG running again?

    PG 8.x
    Windows XP Pro
    Check your eventlog for any messages.

    If this also shows nothing, try starting the postmaster manually using
    runas on pg_ctl.

    //Magnus
  • Steuckrath, Randy A at Oct 3, 2005 at 6:56 pm
    I saw a similar problem with PG 8.1 on Win XP Pro. On our system, the
    postmaster user was set as an Administrator. Change the postmaster user
    to the Users group and try restarting the service. A reboot may be
    necessary as well. Good luck.

    - Randy

    My computer crashed, and when I try to start the PostgreSQL service I
    get this message:

    "The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.0 service on Local Computer started
    and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no
    work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

    I looked in PG's logs and there's nothing - the last log is from Sep.
    30 (and it doesn't contain anything of note). Any idea what the
    problem is and how to get PG running again?

    PG 8.x
    Windows XP Pro
    Check your eventlog for any messages.

    If this also shows nothing, try starting the postmaster manually using
    runas on pg_ctl.

    //Magnus

    http://archives.postgresql.org

grouppgsql-ports @