I choose this naming to avoid corrupting any already installed older
version;
(i.e. my old postgresql 7 rpm create also a postgre7 user, and the 2
versions work at the same time on the same server (I just need to change
one postmaster port))

Maybe I will use a macro to offer the possiblity to rename the user.

Frederic Germaneau
Bull(France)
(+33) 4 76 29 70 41

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> sur 02/01/2005 11:21:08 AM

Pour : frederic.germaneau@bull.net
cc : pgsql-ports@postgresql.org
Objet : Re: Réf. : Re: [PORTS] Questions about PostgreSQL v8

frederic.germaneau@bull.net wrote:
I have build a rpm for AIX5.2 compiled with VaC 6 in 64bit mode.

It doesn't deliver any contribution, but it works fine.
Oh that's nice. Maybe you can make it available to AIX users.
My rpm creates a user named postgre8, tunes his limits and creates pg
home inside his home.
Please don't name users "postgre"-something. The proper name is
"postgres".

Search Discussions

  • Peter Eisentraut at Feb 1, 2005 at 2:11 pm

    frederic.germaneau@bull.net wrote:
    I choose this naming to avoid corrupting any already installed older
    version;
    (i.e. my old postgresql 7 rpm create also a postgre7 user, and the 2
    versions work at the same time on the same server (I just need to
    change one postmaster port))
    If you distinguish between PostgreSQL 7 and PostgreSQL 8 then you have a
    grave misunderstanding about the PostgreSQL version numbering. The
    major version numbers go ... 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, ... The change
    from 7 to 8 is purely arbitrary. So to make sense you should create
    users postgre72, postgre73, postgre74, postgre80, etc., otherwise it's
    just random.
  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 2, 2005 at 6:17 pm

    Peter Eisentraut wrote:
    frederic.germaneau@bull.net wrote:
    I choose this naming to avoid corrupting any already installed older
    version;
    (i.e. my old postgresql 7 rpm create also a postgre7 user, and the 2
    versions work at the same time on the same server (I just need to
    change one postmaster port))
    If you distinguish between PostgreSQL 7 and PostgreSQL 8 then you have a
    grave misunderstanding about the PostgreSQL version numbering. The
    major version numbers go ... 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, ... The change
    from 7 to 8 is purely arbitrary. So to make sense you should create
    users postgre72, postgre73, postgre74, postgre80, etc., otherwise it's
    just random.
    I wonder if we should define major/minor version numbers somewhere, like
    in the FAQ?

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001

    I choose this naming to avoid corrupting any already installed older
    version;
    (i.e. my old postgresql 7 rpm create also a postgre7 user, and the 2
    versions work at the same time on the same server (I just need to
    change one postmaster port))
    If you distinguish between PostgreSQL 7 and PostgreSQL 8 then you have a
    grave misunderstanding about the PostgreSQL version numbering. The
    major version numbers go ... 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, ... The change
    from 7 to 8 is purely arbitrary. So to make sense you should create
    users postgre72, postgre73, postgre74, postgre80, etc., otherwise it's
    just random.
    Even better would be postgres72, postgres73, postgres74, etc... :-)

    --
    Robert Treat

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql