Are there any replication solutions that have been tested on
Windows. The options listed on the PostgreSQL site all require
Linux/Unix or are only available as source. I am not able to
compile these sources.

Harm van der Ploeg
Relitech BV

Search Discussions

  • Robert Treat at Jan 21, 2005 at 12:28 pm

    Are there any replication solutions that have been tested on
    Windows. The options listed on the PostgreSQL site all require
    Linux/Unix or are only available as source. I am not able to
    compile these sources.
    I think all of the open source ones require *nix, although I think you could
    set up slony on a central machine and use it to replicate remote windows
    servers if you wanted. If your willing to pay for such software, I believe
    command prompt has plans to port thier system (mammoth replicator) to
    windows, so you might want to contact them.

    --
    Robert Treat
  • Chris Browne at Jan 23, 2005 at 1:45 pm

    Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when xzilla@users.sourceforge.net (Robert Treat) wrote:
    Are there any replication solutions that have been tested on
    Windows. The options listed on the PostgreSQL site all require
    Linux/Unix or are only available as source. I am not able to
    compile these sources.
    I think all of the open source ones require *nix, although I think
    you could set up slony on a central machine and use it to replicate
    remote windows servers if you wanted. If your willing to pay for
    such software, I believe command prompt has plans to port thier
    system (mammoth replicator) to windows, so you might want to contact
    them.
    All the replication systems I know of require some compiled code
    running on all servers.

    For Slony-I to function, for instance, requires having some triggers
    implemented in C which would therefore have to be compiled on Windows.
    The same is true for the "open source" version of eRServer.
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/multiplexor.html

    Are there any replication solutions that have been tested on
    Windows. The options listed on the PostgreSQL site all require
    Linux/Unix or are only available as source. I am not able to
    compile these sources.
    I think all of the open source ones require *nix, although I think
    you could set up slony on a central machine and use it to replicate
    remote windows servers if you wanted.
    For Slony-I to function, for instance, requires having some triggers
    implemented in C which would therefore have to be compiled on Windows.
    Christopher, you know the code far better than I, but I don't think there is
    anything too crazy in the C triggers in slony that would make it difficult to
    compile on Windows (relative to other C functions anyways), do you ?

    --
    Robert Treat
  • Chris Browne at Jan 28, 2005 at 4:50 am

[...]
    No, there's no reason to expect these triggers to be problematic.

    What _is_ problematic is that the average Windows install doesn't
    include a C compiler, making it rather tough for someone to add
    anything in after the fact.

    Then there's the challenge that if YOU compile the C functions with
    YOUR environment, the binaries might not be easy to guarantee to match
    up against a set of PostgreSQL binaries compiled by someone else.

    If your compile environment matches well what is being used to produce
    "quasi-official PostgreSQL binaries for Windows," then there's reason
    for hope.

    One rather less hopeful instance of this is that I _know_ that I can't
    hook in Perl stuff compiled using GCC to the AIX 'standard Perl' (that
    was presumably compiled using VisualAge C). GCC and VAC don't link
    together happily enough for Perl stuff to "turn out." Porting trouble
    found there...
    --
    "cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/sap.html

    The world rejoiced as harm.van.der.ploeg@relitech.nl (Harm van der Ploeg) wrote:
    Are there any replication solutions that have been tested on
    Windows. The options listed on the PostgreSQL site all require
    Linux/Unix or are only available as source. I am not able to
    compile these sources.
    In the case of Slony-I, no one has yet volunteered to add such a port.

    As one of the Slony-I developers, while I don't oppose such a port, I
    have neither the access to Windows(tm) nor the interest in usage on
    Windows(tm) that would be required for me to put effort into it. I'm
    already quite busy enough with other things. The same appears to be
    true of the other developers, as well.

    If you consider it valuable, you'll have to find someone to do the
    port. That may mean needing to pay someone money to do the work.

    This sort of thing is liable to be an ongoing problem for use of
    PostgreSQL on Windows(tm); there are a number of PostgreSQL extensions
    that require the ability to compile from source, and it is
    unfortunately quite common for Windows(tm)-based users to be pretty
    helpless in this fashion.

    As an alternative, I believe that Command Prompt's "Mammoth
    Replicator" has been ported to run on Windows; you may want to enquire
    about it and see if its properties are suitable for your purposes.
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/slony.html

grouppgsql-ports @