When attempting to install PostgreSQL 8 for Windows (on Windows XP with
Service Pack 2 and all updates as of today; 2005-Jan-04), I get the following
error message (filename is "postgresql-8.0.0-rc2-ja.msi"):

Windows Installer
[Yellow Triangle "!"]
Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform
paths are valid.

I would like to experiment with this on Windows because I have some
customers who would like to use it on Windows XP (and replace an existing
database engine by SyBASE, MySQL, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Search Discussions

  • Magnus Hagander at Jan 5, 2005 at 9:02 am

    When attempting to install PostgreSQL 8 for Windows (on
    Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and all updates as of today;
    2005-Jan-04), I get the following error message (filename is
    "postgresql-8.0.0-rc2-ja.msi"):

    Windows Installer
    [Yellow Triangle "!"]
    Error applying transforms. Verify that the
    specified transform paths are valid.

    I would like to experiment with this on Windows because
    I have some customers who would like to use it on Windows XP
    (and replace an existing database engine by SyBASE, MySQL, etc.).
    You are aware that this is the japanese version, right? (Just checking
    since you appear to be from a non-japanese address). If not, and this is
    an OS that does not have japanese charactersets installed, that could
    well be the reason.

    If it's supposed to be the japanese version, I'll turn you over to
    Hiroshi Saito who's done that port :-)

    //Magnus
  • Hiroshi Saito at Jan 5, 2005 at 5:09 pm
    Hi.

    Have a happy new year !:-)

    Hmm..
    Will I have to put the check that Japanese(ja) doesn't move in Japanese version (MS932) others?

    regards,
    Hiroshi Saito
[...]

  • Randolf Richardson at Jan 5, 2005 at 8:45 pm

    "mha@sollentuna.net ("Magnus Hagander")" wrote in pgsql.ports:

[...]

    Thank you for your immediate and helpful response...

    No, actually I wasn't aware that it was the Japanese version. I just
    chose the one with the most recent date and assumed that the "-ja" suffix
    indicated something to do with Java support (Japan's ISO country code is
    actually "JP" so I didn't even guess perhaps a "-japanese" suffix or an
    "00index.txt" file with descriptions could be helpful).

    I'm downloading "postgresql-8.0.0-rc2.zip" right now and will post an
    update here shortly.
  • Randolf Richardson at Jan 5, 2005 at 9:07 pm

    "Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca>" wrote in pgsql.ports:

[...]

    Update: That's the correct file. Thanks!
  • Magnus Hagander at Jan 9, 2005 at 2:24 pm

    Hi.

    Have a happy new year !:-)

    Hmm..
    Will I have to put the check that Japanese(ja) doesn't move in
    Japanese version (MS932) others?
    I don't think so, but it's probably a good idea to include a readme.txt
    file in the next ZIP file that states that it's the japanese version,
    and should only be used on japanese systems.

    //Magnus
  • Tom Lane at Jan 9, 2005 at 5:12 pm

    "Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
    Will I have to put the check that Japanese(ja) doesn't move in
    Japanese version (MS932) others?
    I don't think so, but it's probably a good idea to include a readme.txt
    file in the next ZIP file that states that it's the japanese version,
    and should only be used on japanese systems.
    Perhaps also the filename should be "-jp" not "-ja"? I agree with the
    complainant that the former is more standard.

    regards, tom lane
  • Peter Eisentraut at Jan 9, 2005 at 5:45 pm

    Tom Lane wrote:
    Perhaps also the filename should be "-jp" not "-ja"? I agree with
    the complainant that the former is more standard.
    ja = Japanese (ISO 639 language code)
    jp = Japan (ISO 3166 country code)

    Since the installation pack is probably targeted at users speaking
    Japanese, much like the "en" installer targets users speaking English,
    "ja" seems to be correct.
  • Hiroshi Saito at Jan 10, 2005 at 4:24 pm
    Dear All.

    Thank you for the various information.

    I don't think so, but it's probably a good idea to include a readme.txt
    file in the next ZIP file that states that it's the japanese version,
    and should only be used on japanese systems.
    I mention README.txt which will be read first, and so I will try to explain
    it in english and Japanese.

    Perhaps also the filename should be "-jp" not "-ja"? I agree with
    the complainant that the former is more standard.
    ja = Japanese (ISO 639 language code)
    jp = Japan (ISO 3166 country code)

    Since the installation pack is probably targeted at users speaking
    Japanese, much like the "en" installer targets users speaking English,
    "ja" seems to be correct.
    I like the language specification, too.

    best regards,
    Hiroshi Saito