at a point the postgresql ODBC driver issues a command like this (not
questioning here how useful or correct it could be)

select * from table1 where ctid = '(,)';

this command works (?) returning zero rows without error, even from
psql,
when the db is hosted in the following systems:

- debian i386 using the stable postgresql7.2.1-2 package
- debian ppc using the stable postgresql7.2.1-2 package
- debian i386 using the testing postgresql7.4.2-2 package
- MacOSX 10.2 using the 7.3.4 compiled from source

but when hosted in a MacOSX 10.3 (Panther) using postgres 7.4.x
compiled from source we get:

ERROR: invalid input syntax for type tid: "(,)"

I've tried on three different machines and a miriad of different
configure parameters and always get the same error...

could be an incompatible version of some external lib?
who is responsible of the parsing of the command?

as hint:
when installing 7.4.2 on Panther we got a warning telling us about the
version of bison, we have upgraded it anyway to 1.875,

Pax et Bonum

# dott. Jose' Cruanyes Aguilar - C.E. Soft srl
# Pzza. Firenze,4 MILANO - XX Settembre 10, CREMONA
# 02,33603122 0372,460602

Search Discussions

  • Jose' Cruanyes at Apr 3, 2004 at 9:51 pm
    at a point the postgresql ODBC driver issues a command like this (not
    questioning here how useful or correct it could be)

    select * from table1 where ctid = '(,)';

    this command works (?) returning zero rows without error, even from
    psql,
    when the db is hosted in the following systems:

    - debian i386 using the stable postgresql7.2.1-2 package
    - debian ppc using the stable postgresql7.2.1-2 package
    - debian i386 using the testing postgresql7.4.2-2 package
    - MacOSX 10.2 using the 7.3.4 compiled from source

    but when hosted in a MacOSX 10.3 (Panther) using postgres 7.4.x, or
    7.3.x
    compiled from source we get:

    (in 7.4) ERROR: invalid input syntax for type tid: "(,)"
    or
    (in 7.3) ERROR: tidin: invalid value

    I've tried on three different machines and a miriad of different
    configure parameters and always get the same error...

    probably is an incompatible version of some external lib?, which one?
    who is responsible of the parsing of the command?

    Pax et Bonum

    # dott. Jose' Cruanyes Aguilar - C.E. Soft srl
    # Pzza. Firenze,4 MILANO - XX Settembre 10, CREMONA
    # 02,33603122 0372,460602
  • Tom Lane at Apr 4, 2004 at 5:04 am

    "Jose' Cruanyes" <cruanyes@cegroup.it> writes:
    select * from table1 where ctid = '(,)';
    [ works on some machines and not others ]
    I would argue that the ODBC driver is broken and needs to be fixed,
    as does the TID input parser which should never allow this ...

    However, the reason for the platform dependency is probably that
    strtoul() is setting errno on some machines and not others.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 3, '04 at 5:57p
activeApr 4, '04 at 5:04a
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Jose' Cruanyes: 2 posts Tom Lane: 1 post